Dive Gear Woes - A Cautionary Tale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who told you the D4i battery is not "user replaceable"? Was it the people that want to charge you $65 to replace it for you? You really should be careful who you listen to.

I've had a D4 for almost 9 years, and it's on its fourth battery. I'm the user and I've replaced it every time. If you know how to use a small screwdriver and understand how o-rings work, you can replace the battery yourself. Takes just a few minutes.

I keep a spare battery for my D4 in my small tool kit, along with the appropriate screwdriver, just in case I run into a situation like yours.

One of the funnier conversations I had with an employee of a dive shop happened when my D4 was four years old (i.e. out of warranty.) I mentioned that I replace my own battery and with a look of mild shock he told me "you'll void the warranty doing that!!" I couldn't resist asking him "The computer's 4 years old... which warranty are you talking about?"

Koolaid comes in many flavors.

Who told you the D4i battery is not "user replaceable"?

If you look around you will find many opinions on the matter. In the end I decided that I just don't have enough confidence in my own competence. It's that simple.

I was in canoe camping in Canada (Algonquin Provincial Park) and ran into this exact problem... The new app would not let me connect to my Hero Session without logging in. I had no idea the app had even updated since the last time i used it no more than two weeks prior. It was very frustrating to say the least.

Little did i know my WB was still set for indoor lighting... I came home with a lot of blue video!!! Was not happy at all.

• After the first dive I grabbed my iPad and GoPro to review the photos and video from the first dive. I was using a new filter and new macro lens so I I wanted to see the results on a large screen. Unfortunately, GoPro’s new “Capture” app requires you to have an account and log in before you can use it. Well, I’m out at sea with no Internet connection, so no way to use the app. How silly. Thanks a lot Go Pro.

I just replace batteries in both computers every year. By the time I get a warning I am not where I want to replace it and I have seen cases where by the time a diver gets a warning it is close to shut down time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom