Dive Haven

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great report, however it sounds like Jocassee is still king for warmer water. Those temps sound like Lanier temps.

I went diving Sat. 6/05/10 got ther early . Tony and I were the 1st ones ther. The service was friendly . Area looks real nice . Looks clean. Dive 1. Time in 10;04 am. Air temp 81 degrees. Surface temp.79 0degrees. Temp at74'was 46 degrees. Max depth was 74'. Dive time was 61 minutes. Viz was realy good 10, to 25, ther was some areas that it was realy low viz.dow below 25' the viz got raely good. Dive 2. Dive time in 12:54. Air temp 86 degrees. Temp. At 37' 52 degrees. Max depth 37'. Dive time 57 minutes. Viz was the same as the 1st dive. There are some neat things sunk. To swim around and find. We found the ss minow , a school bus , a large cabin crouiser , large crane. All this was in 20' to 50' depth water . This stuff was over across the lake. From the entrance and the offoce (west to northwest side)looks like they have done a lot to the sight and still have some to go. Looking forward to diving ther more and seeing all the changes. That are coming

What were you wearing? I'm heading up this weekend and am planning on 6 mil full.

I was in a 5mil Pennical Merino full , 5 mil hood , 5mil gloves ans 5 mil booties with 2 mil sockes . It still was a little chilly below 25' to 30' . Tony was in a 7 mil farmer , 5 mil booties and 5 mil hood Tony was in a 7 mil farmer and 5 mil booties ,hood

Last edited:
What were you wearing? I'm heading up this weekend and am planning on 6 mil full.

I was in a 5mil Pennical Merino full , 5 mil hood , 5mil gloves ans 5 mil booties with 2 mil sockes . It still was a little chilly below 25' to 30' . Tony was in a 7 mil farmer , 5 mil booties and 5 mil hood Tony was in a 7 mil farmer and 5 mil booties ,hood

I was in a 7 mil farmer john, 3 mil booties, 5 mil gloves and hood! I was good until 70' with temps of 45 degree! My hands and feet were the only things really cold at that depth. The quarry temps varies a lot depending on what area you are in. The second dive was on the shovel, bus, and two boats! The first dive was on the first boat and then following the ledge to the right, over, and down to seventy feet! Here is some dive temps from our dives at different depths::D

Dive 1
Depth- 70'
Time= 1 hr
Vis- was 5'-10' between the depths 10-20'
Vis- was 10'-20' between the depths of 30-70'
Temps:
Surface-80o
20'-69o
30'-50o
70'-45o

Dive 2
Depth- 39'
Time= 1 hr 2 mins
Vis- was 10'-15' at 30' of depth!
Temps:
Surface-80o
20'-57o
30'-48o

Dive 1
Depth- 70'
Time= 1 hr
Vis- was 10'-20' between the depths of 30-70'
Temps:
Surface-80o
20'-69o
30'-50o
70'-45o

Dive 2
Depth- 39'
Time= 1 hr 2 mins
Vis- was 10'-15' at 30' of depth!
Temps:
Surface-80o
20'-57o
30'-48o

I have trouble believing that it was really 69 degrees at 20 feet for your first dive, it is likely that the temperature sensor wasn't given enough exposure at that depth to register the actual temperature. Noting your shallower 2nd dive it shows a seemingly more accurate 57 degrees. Either way that is still cold, about exactly the same as Lanier. I logged 44 degrees at 76 feet in Lanier recently.

I have trouble believing that it was really 69 degrees at 20 feet for your first dive, it is likely that the temperature sensor wasn't given enough exposure at that depth to register the actual temperature. Noting your shallower 2nd dive it shows a seemingly more accurate 57 degrees. Either way that is still cold, about exactly the same as Lanier. I logged 44 degrees at 76 feet in Lanier recently.

I actually think it might be a typo. I went back and read the post in the Dixie divers section and it was filled with a bunch of minor errors. It would not let me go back and edit it after I re-read it (I think I waited to long to try an edit it)! That's why I should not post stuff when I am tired and I should also proof read it better. :) I will double check it tonight and figure out which error it was!

I actually think it might be a typo. I went back and read the post in the Dixie divers section and it was filled with a bunch of minor errors. It would not let me go back and edit it after I re-read it (I think I waited to long to try an edit it)! That's why I should not post stuff when I am tired and I should also proof read it better. :) I will double check it tonight and figure out which error it was!

Tony, no worries, I just wanted to start a conversation as to how temperature sensors on computers are not "instant."

Tony, no worries, I just wanted to start a conversation as to how temperature sensors on computers are not "instant."

Well, I could see that being an issue depending on where u left your computer during the surface interval or gearing up. I also thought about the location of where the spring is in the quarry. If I remember correctly, they told me certain spots were cooler than others because of the water flowing in from the spring.(krawlings might remember that converstion with the guy in more detail)! I will check my computer for both dives and see how fast the temperature changes relative to position in the quarry too. Plus I will check them versus the lanier dives and see I could recognize a pattern.

We could also compare his computer versus mine?

Comparing computers would additionally be useful. What do you have what does he have?

I have a Oceanic VEO180NX wrist
I am having some problems getting the software to e-mail or save to a PDF to an EXCEL FILE . All it will do is let me print it . And my printer is not working . . I may just manually inter the data on to a EXCEL spread sheet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom