Dive Hazard, Marineland, Pebble Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think we're getting somewhere. The pier in the photo isn't really directly accessible by small boats, so an attached floating pier, down at water level, seems pretty likely. I've seen something like that many times before. As Christian mentioned this really seemed to be a floating pier. And if my rememberer is working correctly, it seemed to be a tubular metal structure, not a wooden one like I'm assuming the pier in the photo is. Maybe the 1979 photo is after a storm in which the floating pier got slammed around and sunk. And it seems that the location of the floating dock we found was further out and to the west of the pier in the photo. Interesting....

Wow, very cool. Looks like someone forgot to account for low tide when designing the pier. Stairs just hanging out in mid-air.

mccabejc:
Wow, very cool. Looks like someone forgot to account for low tide when designing the pier. Stairs just hanging out in mid-air.
IIRC the stairs were for loading/unloading from the deck of the Marineland boat, so they would not have reached the water. I didn't get certified until right after Marineland closed, otherwise I would probably have better memories of the area. I went there as a kid and once as an adult, but was more interested in the sea lion wild west show and Orky and Corky. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom