Dive House - Scuba Du

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP originally asked specific questions about Dive House and Scuba Du. The OP's specific questions were answered. I merely suggested that there were more than those two dive operations on the island. Perhaps my suggestion could be deemed sarcastic or condenscending, but it could also be considered a gentle suggestion that the OP consider more than just those two dive ops. This suggestion was helpful and not unfriendly, though I suppose I could have inserted a smiley face to make it extra friendly :) However, instead of the simple expected response such as "Gee Mossman, what other dive ops do you think I should consider", my helpful suggestion engendered a tirade that must have been so unfriendly that it was moderated. Go figure.

The fact is that many newcomers don't want helpful suggestions because they might interfere with the newcomers' belief that they already know it all. Or, when newcomers don't presume to know it all, they post questions like "I'm going to Cozumel for the first time. Who should I dive with?" which elicit nothing more than cheerleading responses for the multitudes of dive ops on the island.

Any newcomer to a board, this board or any board, should know the basics: read the FAQ (in this case "stickies") first, then search to see if others have asked your same question. This will help the newcomer ask a narrower question that will hopefully provoke a much more helpful response than what mere random cheerleading provides.

Yes, there sometimes is a sarcastic tone on these sort of threads, but it's as much or more the fault of the newcomers than it is the fault of the regulars who grow weary when the same questions are posed again and again and again.

In any case, as cvchief pointed out before he himself started his cheerleading dance, "staying at the Presidente, you can have your choice of dive ops really". Cozumel is somewhat unique in that there is no need to stay where the dive shop is located. If staying at a hotel that allows other dive boats to pick up at the hotel's dock, it is easy to use one of the many other dive ops not based at a hotel that offer a lot more bang for the buck. For instance, I note that Scuba Du charges extra for "advanced" sites whereas many dive ops that are otherwise priced similarly, do not add on such a charge. There are dive ops that provide larger tanks that allow for longer dive profiles. And plenty of other variables to consider. Like wetsuit storage.

When newcomers are not themselves helpful by providing more information about their diving desires, they get "the Spanish Inquisition" merely because it is necessary to know more before providing advice. In this sense, the "Inquisition" is for the newcomer's own good. Of course the original Spanish Inquisitors would also say it was for the heretic's own good because it would save an immortal soul or something. But look, now we're drifting off into tales of inquisitions and torture. Completely off topic, except for Cozumel's Spanish heritage.

In any case, it appears the OP in this case went from specific to generic, finally ending up with the question that most newcomers start out with: "
not sure who to dive with, and thought I would post here for advice". In that case, let the cheerleading begin!

On my last trip, I stayed at Fiesta Americana and dove with Dive House in the morning (part of the package) and what is now Opal's Dream in the afternoons. The Dive House folks were friendly and competent, but there were at least 12 divers on the boat and we all dove together with 2 dive masters. Surface interval was a slow boat ride to the next site.

With Opal's dream there were never more than 6 on the boat and 4 for one afternoon. Surface intervals were at a beach club.

I did not have gear stored because I like to night dive every night. Dive House provided good dives, but the smaller boat and group with Opal's Dream was simply a better experience. Next time, I might try to find an operator with bigger tanks for my air hog buddy.

Opinions on Scuba Du?

You asked for an opinion on Scuba Du, which I subtly tried to do. If you think saying something positive about one dive operation solicits defensive replys from others, you should see what happens if I had went the other way simply stated some of the things I think are negative about Dive House. LOL

You obviously like Dive House and what they offer and don't miss or don't know what you're missing what other operators offer. When that's the case it's often better to just point out that their are differences without specifically listing them as they would be taken negatively by some, and if nothing else at least let you know that Scuba Du has a very good reputation. But they cater to very different clientel. If you are happy with Dive House and don't consider some of what they do negative like some of us would, then I can only think you'll be very pleasantly surprised and happy with Scuba Du.

And as Mossman did point out, which I wouldn't take any offense to him saying it, his point is very valid. There are more dive ops on the island than those 2, and if you're going to give up the convenience and ease of using a good house op and instead undertake the less convenient process of diving with an offsite operator, his comments are very good to consider, as if it comes down to dive house versus the rest of the ops available, I think it's worth while to broaden your search.

and instead undertake the less convenient process of diving with an offsite operator

I'm not sure why diving with an offsite operator is less convenient. Now, I'm a Coz newbie too with only one trip. But my dive process went like this: go to pier, get on boat. I dove with an offsite operator (at Sabor, not the Presidente). The people who dove with the onsite operator went to the pier, got on the boat.

The only difference I noticed was those diving with the onsite op (Dive House) had to then get their gear situated on their tank, and mine was already ready for me. Lots of them were carrying gear, so I don't know if that was just because it was their first day or if it wasn't stored for them. Those boats were also had room for a heck of a lot more divers, though since it was the off season, they weren't really running as cattle boats at the time. I don't know if it was because they sat for a super long time waiting for everyone to get to the dock (everyone else seemed to just pick up and go) but the exhaust fumes from those boats was killing me- if it's like that when they are running, I wouldn't be able to go on their boats. The people who dove with them said they had a set schedule for the reefs, where our boat got a "where do you guys want to go?" every morning (or a suggestion from the DM, which people often agreed with.) Their 2 tank rate was the same without gear as I paid with gear, so I saved money and got good personalized service. I will say that the people who dove with Dive House seemed happy though, but no matter who the op, I didn't talk with a disappointed diver all week.

I'm not sure why diving with an offsite operator is less convenient. Now, I'm a Coz newbie too with only one trip. But my dive process went like this: go to pier, get on boat. I dove with an offsite operator (at Sabor, not the Presidente). The people who dove with the onsite operator went to the pier, got on the boat.

The only difference I noticed was those diving with the onsite op (Dive House) had to then get their gear situated on their tank, and mine was already ready for me. Lots of them were carrying gear, so I don't know if that was just because it was their first day or if it wasn't stored for them. Those boats were also had room for a heck of a lot more divers, though since it was the off season, they weren't really running as cattle boats at the time. I don't know if it was because they sat for a super long time waiting for everyone to get to the dock (everyone else seemed to just pick up and go) but the exhaust fumes from those boats was killing me- if it's like that when they are running, I wouldn't be able to go on their boats. The people who dove with them said they had a set schedule for the reefs, where our boat got a "where do you guys want to go?" every morning (or a suggestion from the DM, which people often agreed with.) Their 2 tank rate was the same without gear as I paid with gear, so I saved money and got good personalized service. I will say that the people who dove with Dive House seemed happy though, but no matter who the op, I didn't talk with a disappointed diver all week.
You are absolutely correct. If your hotel has its own dock and permits other boats to pick up divers, it is far more convenient IMO to have your gear "valeted" rather than have to deal with it yourself. Also, from the Dive House website, apparently they only offer rinse tanks and gear storage at one of their facilities. Otherwise, you don't even get that benefit.

If I were paying Dive House prices, I'd want better service, the sort of service available from many Cozumel dive ops that pick up at hotel docks to the south.

That said, some people do want to keep their gear available for shore diving. In that case, they'd at least be better off at a dive resort that offers gear storage and shore diving tanks on the spot. And there are some people who simply don't want other people touching their dive gear because they consider it to be delicate life support equipment that no DM could possibly manage to handle without damaging it. I think the former is a good point, the latter not so good, but each to their own.

Me, I love valet service. Just walk down to the dock in my T-shirt and bathing suit (and, unfortunately my heavy camera), hop in my dive boat at the dock, and I'm good to go. Gear all set up, just need to put my nice clean wetsuit on, how inconvenient could that be?

I thought this part of ScubaDu's website was interesting: "NOTE:For safety Scuba Du requires a Private DiveMaster for any diver that is extremely overweight."

I wonder how they define "extremely overweight" and who gets to tell the overweight diver the good news?

LOL - My first thought was someone getting stuck in a swim through! Needs someone to carry the come-a-long?

Yes, there sometimes is a sarcastic tone on these sort of threads, but it's as much or more the fault of the newcomers than it is the fault of the regulars who grow weary when the same questions are posed again and again and again.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The newcomers get frustrated by the sarcasm and snarky comments so they respond in kind. It is simple. If you are frustrated with members' questions, then just don't reply. Very simple, really. It is a credo of the board owner that the board be friendly and helpful above all else. Marg

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The newcomers get frustrated by the sarcasm and snarky comments so they respond in kind. It is simple. If you are frustrated with members' questions, then just don't reply. Very simple, really. It is a credo of the board owner that the board be friendly and helpful above all else. Marg
Call me jaded, but I'm still not sure why "You might be surprised to know that Dive House and Scuba Du are not the only two dive ops in Cozumel." is considered an idiotic response, condescending, sarcastic, or snarky. Or, rather, I'm not sure how one points out even more diplomatically to someone who is bent on only considering two shops that there are more than two dive shops to consider.

If I just said "Dive House and Scuba Du are not the only two dive shops in Cozumel", that sounds even snarkier. The "you might be surprised" makes it sound less condescending IMO. If I said "There are more than two dive shops in Cozumel" or "You might want to consider other dive shops in Cozumel", well those versions sound pretty condescending too.

Actually, it's pretty darn hard to give commonly known information to a newcomer who doesn't seem to know the information without sounding condescending. Maybe I'll just give up responding to all newcomers. It's not worth it. After all, it's not like I get anything personally out of it, I'm just trying to help. If people really don't want help then let them choose dive ops that limit dives, run a set schedule, and don't store wetsuits. But coming here to solicit free information, then complaining that the information isn't presented to them on a silver platter with bells and whistles, well... It just ain't worth it.

Dove with Scuba-Du today, had a blast, new faces and now they have you fill out a Q and A how you liked the service at the end of the day.
The owner greeted us at the dock at the end of our dives and collected the survey. Just another day in Paradise......

Attachments

• DSCF0951.jpg
    DSCF0951.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 165
My first trip to cozumel I didn't do much research and happened to stay at a place where it was convenient to dive with Scuba Du. Two days was enough of Scuba Du for me! I am not a fan of big slow boats,big crowds or timed dives(or when the first diver was low on air) where I was coming up with the 1200-1500 psi. Never again!!

Back
Top Bottom