Dive Insurance or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't find any information to back up the previous posters claims that chamber therapy costs $100,000-$250,000. The average I can google is $100 for 90 minutes.

You may be taking that too literally. I'm sure the poster meant to include possible helicopter evacuation, other transport, cost of doctors involved, possible hospital stays. If the bends is cured, one may simply go for followups etc. but a true embolism may have one in the hospital for quite some time. Its not just the chamber that costs money and different facilities will have different prices. But either the bends or an embolism can leave one with permanent disabilities needing care well into the future.

I have DAN, far as I'm concerned best $100 bucks I spend a year. Hopefully I'll never need it but its there if I do.

I'd like this to be my last post in this thread--could you please stop trying to educate me about things you have no clue about. Thank you.

Very interesting and unnecessarily contentious thread. Put me in the "Yes" column as an answer to the OP. For my money the discussion could have ended there.

And for you, Vladimir, your last post can happen anytime you realize that it's not necessary to have the very last word to make your point.

Vladimir is correct, DAN and the DAN Insurance programs are separate entities.
.. and I'm glad that he's clarified his position (in a forum that may be frequented by new divers) that getting the insurance is a good idea ... even if I just disagree on exactly the amount of dollars when it becomes unnecessary to have it :)

Joe27 ... I'm glad that Kimber's post has convinced you that having insurance dedicated to divers is a good thing

the point I would like to make clear is that one can never know how much an accident could cost.
I have no idea how much more Kimber's regular insurance payed for her accident, in addition to the $265,000 dollars that DAN covered ..

TekDiveGirl talked me into it. Just signed up with DAN. Have been putting it off for a while.

:D My job here is done! Ok not really -- but I'm glad!

I can't find any information to back up the previous posters claims that chamber therapy costs $100,000-$250,000. The average I can google is $100 for 90 minutes. Are there some DAN employees on this board?:shakehead:

EDIT: I found several chambers for sale from $60-$70k. At $250k a visit maybe I'm in the wrong business?

You are correct -- hyperbaric oxygen therapy in a non-emergency setting runs about $100 per visit. When you go in through the ER the price goes way up. Not to 250k but it isn't $100

You may be taking that too literally. I'm sure the poster meant to include possible helicopter evacuation, other transport, cost of doctors involved, possible hospital stays. If the bends is cured, one may simply go for followups etc. but a true embolism may have one in the hospital for quite some time. Its not just the chamber that costs money and different facilities will have different prices. But either the bends or an embolism can leave one with permanent disabilities needing care well into the future.

Ummmm... yep... :depressed:

the point I would like to make clear is that one can never know how much an accident could cost.
I have no idea how much more Kimber's regular insurance payed for her accident, in addition to the $265,000 dollars that DAN covered ..

Suffice it to say at this point in time almost 3 years after accident -- if I had all the money that has been paid out on my behalf in medical bills -- I would be worth over a million dollars. :shocked:

Yes, just had an experience with DCS and DAN last week. DAN was unbelievably great. They coordinated my buddies medical transportation and care, including billing her personal health insurance - and then DAN would pay anything not covered. CHEAP and PROFESSIONAL! A diver is very foolish not to have DAN insurance.

While we all like to think that dive accidents happen to "other people," the truth is that it could happen to you. And if it does, it will be expensive.

Personally, I don't want to find out the hard way that my primary insurance does not cover a dive accident.

The DAN dive accident insurance is secondary insurance. This means that if your primary insurance does not cover the accident, the DAN insurance will. It also means that whatever part of the costs is not covered by your primary insurance, DAN will cover.

So if you have 80/20 covereage with your primary insurance, then you know that at a minimum 20% of your costs are uncovered.

A few years ago I accompanied a diver to the hyperbaric chamber in Grand Cayman. The ambulance ride was many hundreds of dollars. There was the emergency room visit. Lab work done. Numerous visits with the hyperbaric doctor. Each chamber trip was $2500. Then she had to stay in Grand Cayman for an extra week paying single occupancy rates. And buy a new plane ticket home.

Once she got home, she saw another doctor who specializes in dive medicine. And had some more chamber treatments.

I don't know how much this all cost. But I do know that the only card she brought with her to the chamber in Grand Cayman was her DAN Membership and Insurance card. The doctor there was very relieved to see that card.

So if you got bent, wouldn't it be nice to know your medical costs will be covered? That's why my husband and I have the DAN Preferred insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom