Dive Insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have insurance with DAN SEAP (South East Asia Pacific) and I also undertake additional international travel insurance which I believe doubles up with DAN in the medical evacuation area.

Regards,

vmf :)

There's those that dive with insurance and then there are those that wish they had . . . .

Here are some thoughts:
  • Decompression sickness/illness is not generally covered by a primary medical insurance issuer.
  • Is your primary medical insurance recognized in another country or diving area?
  • Recompression in a chamber costs money; some have reported costs of $75,000 or more depending on the area of the world and what is involved to transport the diver.
  • Most diving insurance is cheap (i.e. DAN insurance is about $35 a year for a family, $25 a year for an individual) and there are many added benefits beyond the recompression therapy, such as Travel Assist, mortal remains recovery, and limited travel insurance to cover costs of missed plane rides home, etc.
  • Most diving insurance is a secondary insurance to your primary, thus whatever your primary provider won't pick up, the diving insurance will to its maximum pay out.

As far as who is best, well that's debatable I'm sure. I have been with DAN (Divers Alert Network) for about 6 years. With the upper level of insurance coverage, there is no maximum depth limit, there's a hefty dollar coverage ($100,000 I think, without looking it up), and many other benie's for a reasonable yearly price tag. I know that PADI has insurance through their underwriter Vicencia and Buckley that seems reasonable as well, plus they donate some money to DAN.

I hope that this helps. Cheers :)

We had a good thread on this a few weeks ago in the General Travel section, and DocVikingo reposted an article he wrote about Dive Insurance.....

Click this link to read the thread.

Originally posted by BigDiver
How many of you out there have dive insurance? Is it really needed and which one is the best?

We both are covered by DAN's Preferred Plan. I don't get in the water...any water.....without it!

Is it the best? I feel it is. But please read Doc Vikingo's review and comparison for yourself.

Here is an overview of there best plan, it cost 70. a year, plus i think 29.00 for member ship

Policy Overview

Many DAN Members have asked for even more protection than the DAN Master Plan insurance offers. Well here it is. DAN is now offering the DAN Preferred™ Plan with increased benefits and some entirely new ones.

One of the first things current DAN Members will notice about the DAN Preferred Plan is that it includes $250,000 (per occurrence) coverage of all covered in-water skin and scuba diving injuries to any depth.

Beyond the coverage increase, DAN Members who choose the DAN Preferred Plan also get:

up to $10,000 (lifetime maximum) worth of coverage for Medical Non-dive Accident Coverage – for eligible charges for the treatment of non-diving accidents outside home country
up to $10,000 (lifetime maximum) worth of Diving Vacation Cancellation coverage – for injured person’s losses incurred for trip cancelled before departure
up to $5,000 (lifetime maximum) of Diving Vacation Interruption coverage – for injured person’s losses incurred for trip interrupted after departure
You must be a DAN Member before choosing a DAN insurance plan. DAN Member benefits include $100,000 worth of TravelAssist coverage, a subscription to Alert Diver and the opportunity to support dive safety research – a worthwhile cause for all divers.

I have insurance through DAN. I can't imagine not having it. It's pretty cheap for the amount of peace of mind it provides.

Scot

my DAN preferred plan or my dramamine! Both cost little and can save a dive trip!
Ber :bunny:

My wife and I just renewed our DAN insurance. I hope we never need it, but it's a comfort knowing it is there.

My wife and I have the DAN preferred plan and would not dive without it. I read a post on another board a while back of a person who had some injuries on Bonaire and the hospital would only accept 3 types of payment - cash, credit card or DAN insurance. Considering what I pay to dive, it's cheap insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom