Dive Knife position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveaway

Reaction score
On this board and in other places I have read that the best place to attach a dive knife is the upper half of the body in easy reach of your arms. The reason is obviously to have ease access to the live saving tool when you are entangeled.

Problem: How do you do that? Where on the BC and with what kind of tool would you attach the Knife? I've got a scubapro K-5 knife which is not huge but still not a BC knife. I tried to attach it the the BC (Seaquest Quickdraw - yeah I know, BP/Wing is my next upgrade ...) but I ended up with the knife in my face, literally ... and there are not a lot of options to really attach a knife.

:confused:

Any ideas or own experience?

Thanks

Ray

...seems like a good idea until you poke a hole in the hose trying to put the knife back...

Maybe EMT shears clipped off in a pocket until you can make that upgrade to the backplate and then you'll put a small knife on your waist strap. For now do you really need a knife or would the shears suffice?

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
...seems like a good idea until you poke a hole in the hose trying to put the knife back...
Thanks for the reminder. The LDS stuck one on my inflator hose and it really bothers me there (for the afore mentioned reason). I think I'll go move it to the waist belt right now before I forget again.

The times I've used a BCD, I was also using a weight belt, so I threaded my shears onto that. If you're using integrated weights, perhaps you could get a weight belt strap, sans weights, and use that?

Alternatively, some people strap knives on their arms, across their chest, on their legs, etc. Me, I created a holder for a knife out of some spare webbing. My only cost was a $3 stainless steel kitchen knife I got from Albertson's.

One nice thing about getting some webbing and making as simple belt, is that you could attack a D-ring on your left hip, and clip your console off on that.

Jeff

Here in wreck heaven (England) we suffer from lots of ropes and nets being drapped over out dives so we use knives a lot

Over the years I used my knives in earnest so here is my normal carry

1) Main knife. A large knife carries on the right lower leg. I do mean Large. Currently a 10" Wenoka. This is a good knife for cutting heavy rope and thin wire especially when its not under tension (small knifes cant cope with 1" thick hawser). Its also great for hacking rope off from around props

2) backup knife. Small 4" titanium knife mounted upside down on BC hose or left harness. Titanium knives hold a very sharp edge. This knife is great for fishing line and lines under tension. I can also reach it when tangled in netting and cant get at leg knife

3) Net Cutter. In waist pouch or pocket. A razor bladded net cutter for nylon nets. Only works well when the net is tight

4) TuffCuts (EMT shears). In waist pouch or pocket. Deals with thicker or loose nets

Call it overkill if you like but I've yet to get stuck in a net . They are so common here on our dives

I carry a small knife mounted behind the gear pocket on my harness waist strap, or mounted on the right BC shoulder strap when I'm wearing a jacket. I also carry heavy duty stainless shears.
If I'm spearfishing I carry a pig-sticker on the inside left calf in addition to the other two.
Rick

made it really easy for me to attach the knife to the back of my console. It's always right there, but I also wear one on my leg just in case.

I have almost the same setup as Madmole except my EMT shears are rigged between my shoulder strap and my waist band. It keeps them nice and tight and in easy reach. When I was wearing a BC, I sewed the sheath of the EMT shears to the pocket of my BC and that worked great. I've been playing with wear to put them now since I got my TP II.

Ty

Hi i think carrying a woppa of a knife on your leg is stupid one it is mainly ur legs that get tangled so you would have to go throw all the net and risk further entanglement and to it causes alot of drag. my opinion is to have it on my wing harness on ur belley as if it wear a gun so u can get at it easy and its neat and out the way and if u have a jacket style bcd u can have a bit of strap added to make it fit there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom