dive knife questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering getting a titanium dive knife and have some questions for anybody out there who has an opinion:

I've heard that a medium-sized knife (8 or 9 inches total length) is better for most diving applications because it's not unwieldy (wouldn't want to puncture that BCD or your wings!), and I certainly agree (no need to feel like Rambo). Problem is, most of my online research shows that there really aren't too many medium-sized titanium knives out there -- most seem to be 10" or more. Am I missing something? Any recommendations?

The next question is much more specific: I know that a good knife will have a line-cutting notch in the blade. Some knives have the notch on the serrated edge of the blade, others on the smooth edge. Any opinions about which is the better placement of the notch?

Thanks!

I have seen smaller Ti knives with 4" or so blades, as well as folders. IMO Ti is a waste, as good SS with silicone grease on it won't rust and is lots cheaper. And easier to sharpen.

Notches don't matter. I carry a Zip knife if diving in mono territory.

MD

I would recommend a foldling lock-blade in stainless steel.
Doesn't rust, is easy to clean, is compact and can fit in a pocket.

Aaaaand, as Mech said, "And easier to sharpen." Stainless steel is a booger to sharpen and you don't even want to try sharpening a Ti blade unless you have a diamond sharpening kit.

underwater kinetics makes some decent knives.

Find them here:

http://www.uwkinetics.com/CategoryDisplay_cgmenbr=91&cgrfnbr=840.htm

Before you get a large one, figure out where/how you'll carry it. Smaller may be better.

One new option is the 'Trigger', which is small enough to fit nearly anywhere and comes with a variety of mounting hardware to fit numerous locations.

Its at the bottom of the page. What you were thinking about is at the top of the page.

(I also use a folder most often, however. From Spyderco. Works for me.)

Doc

First, i would recommend a blunt tip knife. I've seen too many people injure themselves or their equipment with "spear tip" knives.
Again, Ti won't rust or corrode, but it is expensive and requires much more work to sharpen.
A good 440 or 420 stainless blade will require a little more attention to cleaning than Ti, but will last just as long, easier to sharpen and cheaper.
Check out ScubaMax for some medium size Ti (KN-921 blunt, KN-920 point), you should be able to get one for under $50, maybe even cheaper. Some of their stainless are under $30.

You might be interested in this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t62059.html

I have a very small knife on my harness which I have never even taken out of the sheath U/W - only topside for cleaning and greasing (the last time I did that I cut my finger as well!!). Without trying to interfere with what you want - just a suggestion if you have never thought about it - have you considered buying shears/scissors? If the primary reason is to cut away entangled lines etc - they can be even more effective than a knife. Just a thought....

It's never a good idea to cut a line, you'll have two loose ends to deal with then. Just undo the entanglement..........ok, if have a line caught around the prop of the boat, ask the boat owner to pass you a knife.

Sharpening a Ti knife is not really hard but it is different.
You have to adjust how you work to control the burr.

Think of a high carbon blade that throws a burr like stainless, you knife guys will know what I mean. :D

Annother advantage of a Ti knife is that it is very light weight.

concollective:
I know that a good knife will have a line-cutting notch in the blade. Thanks!

A line cutting "notch" is BS. All you need is a sharp edge on a blade and it will cut the line.

Hey, Pipedope, can I send you my old Bodkin broadheads to sharpen before bow season comes in????

Back
Top Bottom