dive knife questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya kin send em but I ain't gonna say when you might get em back. :D

Here's what you need to do:

Go to your local dive shop
Find a small fixed blade, blunt tip knife you are comfortable with
Find a Z-knife you like
Find a pair of medic shears you like

Write down the brand and buy them online for less.

Obviously, for open water diving you won't need all three. I would suggest a small fixed-blader, attached to a BC strap. I've got mine attached to two grommets on the left pocket. On a wing i would put it on the 'belt' strap on your left side, if you are right handed, right side if you're a lefty. This way you can reach it with your primary hand, but also with your off-side hand if you have too.

I would also get either a pair of medic shears or a Z-knife. Both are unbelievably cheap, so much so that you might want to just get these two. The medic shears will cut anything and be attached to your leg or bc/wing straps. The Z-knife should not be used as a primary knife, because it can't cut everything. It should be carried in a pocket where you can easily get it.

Hope that helps.

Hey teknitroxdiver,

We all want to save money, but.................

If you want to research, and touch feel and squeaze at a local shop that bothers to actually stock the goods IMHO you should also buy them there.

Keep it up and soon the LDS (and air station) will be no more.

Fine by me to save money shopping online, heck I sell my own goods online, but to recommend a trip to the LDS for research only is short sighted at best.

Glad I'm not trying to fund my next dive trip (or feed my kids for that matter) by selling dive knives..............

with no offense intended,

ch

cool_hardware52:
Hey teknitroxdiver,

We all want sve money, but.................

If you want to research, and touch feel and squeaze at a local shop that bothers to actually stock the goods IMHO you should also buy them there.

Keep it up and soon the LDS (and air station) will be no more.

Fine by me to save money shopping online, heck I sell my own goods online, but to recommend a trip to the LDS for research only is short sighted at best.

Glad I'm not trying to fund my next dive trip (or feed my kids for that matter) by selling dive knives..............

with no offense intended,

ch

I agree with you. I buy all my major stuff at a dive shop. I recommend this, because you can't get the service and trust you get from your shop from a webpage. The only reason I recommended that he buy his knife online is this is a 'minor' item, and it scars me none to save some $$$ online. Anything like wings, tanks, wetsuits, regs, I wouldn't but them anywhere but my local shop.

OK, I suppose the suggestion to go to the shop and then leave was a bit shortsighted. In fact, with return policies of most of the websites, you could order and then send back what you don't like.

Correction taken.

I use the Dalton Knife:
http://home.earthlink.net/~toddclagett/NovaTech/knifesheath.htm

Cost me less than $25 (only because I had the shoe repair guy at the mall sew the webbing because I was tired of sewing it after making two cam bands, it would have cost only about $13), and I've had it for over 3 years. No rust and it still has a sharp edge. Cuts through 1" anchor rope in one swipe like butter.

I made it because I had lost four or five of the $40 Wenoka leg-mounted knives in my first year of diving. I figured if I lost one of these, it was no big deal to replace it.
Haven't lost it yet.

RichLockyer:
...snip...
I made it because I had lost four or five of the $40 Wenoka leg-mounted knives in my first year of diving. I figured if I lost one of these, it was no big deal to replace it.
Haven't lost it yet.
It always amazing to me the cost of a item is inversely proportional to the ability to lose it. :eyebrow:

I love these little knifes!! And boy are they sharp.

I third the betty crocker special. I got mine for a quarter at a garage sale.

JimC:
I third the betty crocker special. I got mine for a quarter at a garage sale.
I hear you. Mine's a Vitronox - $9.00 and $2.00 for the sheath. I'll do the garage sale when I loose this one.

Unless you really have a need for a knife, I would instead opt for cutting shears if you are only going to carry one cutting instrument. Shears can cut through almost anything (you can cut a coin in half).

I personally carry shears on my waist band, a knife on my corrugated hose (which I remove for cave) and a small knife inside of my light handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom