Dive knife regulations (In US)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orion DM

Reaction score
Anybody know if there are any regulations for carrying a dive knife in the US. Someone just gave me a 7 inch abalone knife they found in their garage and I am wondering if I would be breaking any laws by taking it diving with me? A little BC knife I don't have any qualms with but this seems a bit, well large..

Thanks.

That's fine, just no box cutters........flying is a different story right???

bwrafprincess:
Anybody know if there are any regulations for carrying a dive knife in the US. Someone just gave me a 7 inch abalone knife they found in their garage and I am wondering if I would be breaking any laws by taking it diving with me? A little BC knife I don't have any qualms with but this seems a bit, well large..

Thanks.

Hundreds of regulations, many of which conflict with each other. If you really want to know, start with Google and several hours to spare, finish with an attorney. In Oakland, CA, for example, everyone is prohibited from carrying any knife over 3", under any circumstances. (Reality check -- seen mass arrests of chefs lately?) Throughout California, knives undetectable by metal detectors are illegal. (Reality check -- I can still get plastic silverware at every fast food outlet in the state.)

Most laws, in most states, include "intent to harm" provisions. Reality is that if you're clanking around in regs, tank, and wetsuit, most folks will get it, even if it is bowie-knife size.

(I might still avoid New Jersey.)

--L

(I am not a lawyer, etc. etc.)

lairdb:
Most laws, in most states, include "intent to harm" provisions. Reality is that if you're clanking around in regs, tank, and wetsuit, most folks will get it, even if it is bowie-knife size.

(I might still avoid New Jersey.)

--L

(I am not a lawyer, etc. etc.)

I'd agree with that part. As long as you aren't wearing it around town and such I don't think it will be a problem. Keep it in the dive bag with all of the other dive gear while traveling to and from the dive site.

Joe

It pretty much depends on where you're at. Seeing as you're in Seattle, I figure the cops would probably care if you hauled your machete around town. But where I live, in a tiny town where everyone knows all the cops and all that good stuff, nobody really cares if you've got a big belt knife on, or a butterfly knife in your pocket. Just use it for diving, not showing off, and you'll be fine.

BigJetDriver69:
As long as they are in checked baggage, you can carry any dive knife up to "sword" size.

The dive knife thing is also a concern for fencers and kendoists. If you are going to travel, contact the airline and the airport to find out what are the regulations. Most ports have no problem with blades you carry in checked baggages as long as they know about it. For example I brought a military sabre to a wedding in my checked baggage once.

For on the boat/dive shop/hotel/beach the best people to ask would be the establishment you are diving with/staying at or the local police.

Thanks guys. I wasn't intending to carry it around town with me, just underwater! I did the google search as was suggested (duh, why didn't I think of that?) and found the Seattle regulations (Nothing over 3.5 inches if I read it correctly, which I may not have) so technically illegal but I don't imagine anyone will care if I am covered with neoprene with it strapped to my leg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom