Dive knife: What, Where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xtarheel

Reaction score
As a young man back in the early 70's we watched a 16mm movie about dangerous marine life just before our open water dive off the coast of N.C.. Fearing I would face a giant squid three miles off the coast, I bought the biggest knife the LDS had. A Scubapro that pretty much fit between my knee and ankle (I'm 6'2"). Anyway, I havn't had to fight that squid yet and I proabaly won't have to any time soon. So instead of replacing the dry rotted leg straps, I think I'll buy a new knife although I'll have to add some weight to my BCD to compensate for the weight loss. The questions are: What is a good general purpose (practical) knife and where do you wear it(leg, arm, BCD pocket, etc)?

A Victornox paring knife...
Or...
any cheap plastic handled knife with short sharp blade

I keep these in a sheath on my waist belt.
Tip was ground off of paring knife.
Blade was scored and broken off of red handled knife.

I have one on each rig.

BTW... we have the Giant Pacific Octopus and Orcinus Orca out here in the PNW and so far these knives have been more than adequate.

A pair of EMT shears stuffed in a pocket cut monofilament better than most knives but I agree with Pug smaller is better, unless of course you have to carry some weight anyway then a big shiny peice of sharp stainlees or titanium is way cooler than a two lb bag of lead

A company called Mission Knives makes some of the nicest dive knives I've ever seen. You can check them out at:

http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/store/mission-knives-and-tools-mpu-mpd.html

Most of their models are way to big but, they make a nice serrated model with about a three inch blade out of titanium that comes with a very nice quick draw sheath. I'll probably end up getting one of these but, they do cost $150.00 each. This is by far one of the nicest diving knives ever, and fits the DIR requirements.

I personally carry a few different knives. Have some like Pug described and some that are really nice and professional looking. Always carry a pair of shears though.

Carried one of these for a while when I needed a bigger blade:

http://www.1sks.com/store/crkt-polkowski-kasper-companion.html

This would be a good choice too:

http://www.1sks.com/store/crkt-bear-claw-info.html

And of coarse, Spyderco knives:

www.spyderco.com

I know a lot about knives, I might just do a FAQ if I have time.

It seem like most knives I've seen are fixed blade. I have a Gerber folding hunting knife half serated, half regular. Does anyone carry anything like this in a BCD pocket?

Used to carry a folder in a pocket...quick draw with a sheath is better though. You could just leave the knife in the open position and stick it in a sheath.

A Remora on my waist.They're 316ss small and have the best case of any small knife .I use a blunt tip .It is suitable for braining (sedating)fish and limited work .Shears and a line cutter too.There lotsa line and net on area wrecks to practice on.:wink:

Personally I prefer titanium myself... check the alloy, mine is a beta mix, reputedly some are brittle... however they carry a sharp edge forever... I've seen so many stainless knives that have not been sharpened and due to corrosion (YES it happens slowly to the edges) they are dull as anything! BLunt tip is probably preferable but you may want the pointy tip to defend against the monster squid!!! :D

I have a Wenoka Squeeze Lock knife on the waist belt of my harness and a Mares shears as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom