Dive knife: What, Where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a small knife sheathed as in his pic-I bought it though to get a serrated edge-I find it useful. I also carry shears in my thigh pocket.

I agree small and accessable is better than big in the bottom of your bag in the dive boat. I went to the LDS to make my weekly contribution to his financial well being. Besides a BCD for my wife I bought us each a Wenoka Squeeze lock. Blades are 304 Stainless which I deal with at work all the time. Now where to wear it? It came with studs to mount through the nylon of the BDC (through the bladder probably wouldn't be a good idea ) It also can be strapped to a arm or leg if you buy the straps, and it came with a device to attach it to a hose (BCD inflator?) Does anyone do that? In the meantime I put them in the BCD pockets until we can figure out where to put them.

I guess if I ever dive those giant squid infested waters I can always remove some weights and strap that antique Scubapro saber to my leg as a back-up!

My DW has a Remora mounted with studs to her cummerbund oposite the direction it open .BTW 316ss don't rust and is very durable.You see those shiny things on boats that look silvery all the time ,that's 316.Titanium is nice ,but after watching several knives either break or get lost .I'd rather buy something a little less pricey.I've had 4 big clunking knives lost off my boat by people this year 2@$80 titanium 1@$40 Ocean Master and 1@ $5 Divers Supply clearance.All were leg mount.....go figure.

I carry one of the big Oceanic Titatium beta knives on my waist. It's very sharp and is the most corrosion resistant knife I have ever owned. I also keep an pair of EMS shears and a Z-knife in pocket.

If you aren't a "knife guy" the best bet is probably to just buy a bunch of cheap sharp knives and throw them out when they dull and rust )which cheap low quality knives do very fast, especially in SW.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
cheap sharp knives and throw them out when they dull and rust )which cheap low quality knives do very fast, especially in SW.
You don't get much cheaper than $2.99 but my little paring knife ain't not got no rust bucko.... and it is still veeeeery sharp. :D

Well I guess I'll have to take your word on that UP. But, I'll bet the knife doesn't see much action, more of an emergency only tool. IMO, if you are getting a "working" knife, most of the time you get what youu pay for, and, cheap metal just doesn't hold an edge well, than again at $3 a knife you can afford to toss one as soon as it dulls.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
Well I guess I'll have to take your word on that UP. But, I'll bet the knife doesn't see much action, more of an emergency only tool. IMO, if you are getting a "working" knife, most of the time you get what youu pay for, and, cheap metal just doesn't hold an edge well, than again at $3 a knife you can afford to toss one as soon as it dulls.
... a minor expenditure and you too could have your own paring knife to try out and see for yourself. :D

Actually my little knife sees more action the the big old knive I used to carry.... and does a much better job of cutting mono and sharpening pencils.

Bought a nice 4.5 inch blade tipped knife made by IST. Looks had a lot to do with my purchase. Since I've been diving with it been thinking about getting some shears and replacing the knife with maybe a small bc type thing. Carry it on my leg. haven't had a need to use it yet.
Maybe that's a good thing

I have a titanium 7 inch knife attaached by cable ties on the power inflator close to the mouth piece (it does not get in the way at all) and is very easly to get to. The knife is on a plastic lanyard that goes to the streach of the arm and again does not get in the way; all in all it is a very nice smple compact system

I have a folding lock knife that I carry. I keep it sprayed down with wd40 and rinse it after every dive. I have a BP and Harness setup and mounted it on one of the waste straps. I took about 4 inches of mountain bike tube and pulled it down my left waste strap/ribbon. I shove the knife under the piece of tubing. Its completely ouf of the way and easy to get to. Give it a try.

-Nathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom