Dive knives and the law

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can find no mention of a double-edge knife prohibition in Hawaii law, I suspect that it is just another "Blue Fib" that we are all so used to here, even the police believe them.

Here is the text of Hawaii laws concerning knives (updated4/23/2002). I see no mention of double-edged blades.
. . .

"Dirks" and "daggers" which are banned by this statute are, by definition, double edged thrusting weapons.

"Dirks" and "daggers" which are banned by this statute are, by definition, double edged thrusting weapons.
Thanks.

I found a post that addresses that: A case went to court here (Hawaii) a couple years back in which a guy with a double edged dive knife was charged with having a "dagger" but it was thrown out because the knife had a viable function other than a weapon.

I suspect that a dive knife, er ... tool, would not be covered.

TC:
Not sure about Hawaii but in California the knife shown in post 5 would be considered a dagger and would be illegal if it was carried concealed.

I took a print-out from the Web page on the Safe Maker to our local police station before purchasing one. They said they were fine, but the subject of concealment didn’t come up. A lot of spearfisherman use stilettos here for braining fish and clearing lines.

spearfisher_knife.jpg

hmm, how about not carrying a knife at all? seriously, ask people with 1000+ dives, how many time have they used it? And out of those many time, how many time they actually need to use it?

I'd say about 10% of my dives I've used a knife for one thing or another.

to be quite honest, it (double edged dive knives) likely wouldn't be an issue at all, unless you have done something else stupid, and then you are going to be in deep poo-poo.

hmm, how about not carrying a knife at all? seriously, ask people with 1000+ dives, how many time have they used it? And out of those many time, how many time they actually need to use it?

That is certainly an option. Most diving knives sold aren’t sharp enough to do any good anyway and even fewer people know how to put an edge on the very few capable of holding decent edge.

The obvious question is “What do you want to use a cutting edge for?” I am guessing the most common answer it to clear entanglements. I have never had any difficulty clearing entanglement of lines larger than ¼" in diameter. Monofilament fishing line is another story, especially if fish hooks are attached. Some fishing nets can also be treacherous when tangled around an obstacle.

For that reason, I always carry a Z-knife as a minimum. They are very small, almost impossible to accidently cut yourself with, have interchangeable blades, cut like a razor, and are very inexpensive. This one is the best I have found so far.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/knives-cutting-tools/315577-great-z-knife.html

Good point... but my feeling is that just because a knife (or cutting tool of some sort) is rarely needed on a recreational dive does not mean you will never need one. I think that is "false logic" that could in an extreme case prove fatal.

The problem I see is that if you really do encounter a situation where you need a cutting tool underwater, and don't have one, you don't have a lot of options.

I rarely use my knife underwater (unless spearing, which I have not done in years). These days I use it to remove monofilament "birdnests" I sometimes find on the reef. I've been entangled many years ago, but was easily able to free myself by "reversing" out of the lines that had snagged me. But I can envision get caught in monofilament net that would requiring "cutting" to release myself.

Best wishes.

My "knife" is more often used as a prybar or a hammer (big pommel), to cut things I prefer line cutters or sheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom