Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... one of which was a big honker strapped to the diver's leg that made him look like he was going into combat.
Ahhh yes. The shop I used to work at had one of those in the case. It was a running joke, of course. We would regularly get enthusiastic young new male divers asking to buy the knife (usually as their first gear purchase.) Looking out for the best interest of our customers, we would ask why they wanted such a big knife. The answer was always "In case I see a shark!"

Right. The conversation provided us the opportunity to explain (a) what they should do if they see a shark (i.e. appreciate the experience...) and (b) why a smaller, preferably blunt-tip, knife is a better choice.

That BFK sat in the same place in the case for years.

I dive in an area where encountering ghost nets or parts of old fishing gear is not uncommon so i always carry cutting tools.

I have one small knife with a 3 inch blade (no need for anything big, we are not fighting sharks here) and a line cutter.

I think it depends a lot on visibility and risk of entanglement as risk factors. I've been diving with a very experienced DM in heavy kelp, visibility maybe 15 ft / 5 meters, and got tangled. I was struggling a bit to get free, decided to wait a couple minutes, but the DM (who had two other guests to look after) didn't come back. I was eventually able to reach around and cut the kelp, but it wasn't easy. I could have gotten out of my BCD if it was really desperate, but having some kind of cutting device in that situation is essential. You couldn't get me to dive in kelp without one.

typically....when i dive overhead environments, like wrecks and Ice....i dive with 2 trilobite line cutters....and i position them where i can access one with each hand easily.

when i dive open water...i occasionally strap a dive knife on incase i encounter an enemy diver.....or i encounter a net or rope that needs cutting that is too thick for the line cutters.....but im not dogmatic about it.

Local kelp diving I just carry this small titanium junker
7D3D65B0-88F8-493D-925E-E68C9ADCF5EF.jpeg

1345CFF4-F63E-423D-B442-17A1B45DF9D9.jpeg

the stiff DSS sheath hold it perfectly, the steak knife can also work but they don’t like salt water much
CCBFBD35-A2E4-4C7A-986C-50F6000DDBAA.jpeg

90D9A62D-1A12-42DE-906F-0F7D0AD02D40.jpeg

it a great option for travel because you can usually find one cheap and break the tip off, I just picked up a few of these from piranha
66B5BEFB-1733-4901-89A4-9982AC175503.jpeg
A8BFF1E7-5B47-4C12-9465-524D013AAAF3.jpeg

for warm water use, cheap and a switch blade nonknife

Attachments

• A9C447F1-0CBD-4970-B3A8-DDFB9B2CF3A1.jpeg
    A9C447F1-0CBD-4970-B3A8-DDFB9B2CF3A1.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 25
There is this new tool from Scubapro for only $300 (that's THREE HUNDRED USD) made for u/w rescue:

Jawz Ti

I'd love to get my hands on one to try it but I'll be very hesitant to actually use it in the sea fearing I may lose it.

Holy crap 300 for a knife/tool. I'll stay with my halycon one.

So is mine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom