Dive Labor Day Weekend in Gulf Shores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shushi:
It looks like GUlf Shores is out.... :lol2:

Hey Matt,

We are looking for the same. Would like to meet up and dive with others too. We'd like to taste some salt, LOL but if we have to we'll do freshwater. I'm thinking FL nopw with all the hurricane action. PC isn't that far and we know of a cheap hotel just outside abou 40minutes. Or we could find a camp ground and all camp together. We want to keep it on the cheeper side so we can dive more. Hey I'm almost ready to just drive down and sleep in our car, LOL!!! Give me your thoughts...

Elaine & Scooter

Destin is probably safe enough to dive this weekend. High Tide will fall around 11AM Saturday and 11:45AM Sunday with a neap on Monday. Panama City would work too. Free dives and generally good fun, but its pretty important to hit them during high slack for good vis and the least amount of current. Lots of camping in the areas. I dive on the cheap 90% of the time :D

Shushi:
Hoss,

I'm sorry, I wrote Matt......Doh :cwmddd:

If you'd like to meet up let us know. Everything else still applies, LOL

Elaine & Scooter

...and here I thought you were talking to me :D

Mat

Jurgen:
I may want to join you in Pelham, will you be diving on Sunday? I already have plans for Saturday. What kind of water temperatures are we looking at in Pelham?

Never dove there, but I'm guessing 80s on the surface, 70s to about 30', 60s to 50-60', and damned cold below that? LOL

I don't know what dates I'll be heading there yet, when I find out from the people I'll be diving with, I'll post. I'm thinking it'll be Sun or Mon.

Mat,
I was thinking PC or Destin but I've called the shops there and they don't think that it will be much better by then. Hydro's quote below:

[Hydrospace Dive Shop] I am unsure as to the boats actually going. Right now the storm surge is still high and we are unable to bring the boats back to the dock yet. I am certain the vis will be very poor. It usually takes a while for the water to clear. Please call us on Friday and we will let you know more then. 850-234-3063

We just want to DIVE.....darn hurricane

Whats that places name in Pelham? I am afraid we'll have to do fresh, yuk!! It's better than not diving at all as long as it's not an underwater junk yard live Diveland. Have any ideas for us?

Alabama Blue Water Adventures is in Pelham, AL. You may want to consider a freshwater spring or two in the FL panhandle as well, if you aren't keen on a quarry dive. Vortex will be open with clear water, until OW divers start pouring in. Cypress will DEFINATELY be clear, but will require a canoe to get to, you can rent them at Vortex. River levels on the Choctawhatchee look favorable that Morrison will be clear by next weekend, even if there is a bit of tannic water on the surface. A spring will be my backup plan if the quarry dive falls through and I don't end up cleaning up storm debri.

Just a thought...

Thanks! I'm so bummed!! I like Vortex it's good early before all the students jump in. I love the eels. I just want to see something different, ya know.

Try one of the other springs, I find Vortex to be the least natural and least attractive spring in the area.

Ok, Call me a dumb _ss!! What other springs are there that aren't in south FL? I only know of Vortex an Ginnie.

Ginnie is closer to Central FL than anything else, there are tons of springs near it(around Gainsville/HighSprings). Its not called cave country for nothing :wink: There really isn't a whole lot of springs in SOUTH FL, but some there are a few sinkholes, ect... generally not too appealling to OW divers though.

About 10-15min South of Vortex is Morrison. Free admission. Natural setting, there is one submerged training platform. Beautiful cavern thats huge and pretty much OW friendly if you are comfortable in an overhead environment(has eels, rockbass, catfish, gnomes, and geese in it). It has a smaller cavern thats kinda coolish. When the water levels are low, the outskirts of the basin and spring run contain a ton of life(bream, bass, dogfish, flounder, mullet, gar, pike, turtles, ect). Its probably my single most favorite spring. There is running cold water(non potable), cold showers, bathrooms, changing rooms, ect. Bring your own gear or rent it from Vortex to take to Morrison. If you camp, camp at Vortex, and dive at Morrison :) Morrison can get very very clear at times, but on average, atleast lately, vis has been... well... average(20-30-40' in the basin). The cavern is always gin clear though.

Cypress is on Holmes Creek, in Vernon FL. The land around it is private property now, so you have to get their by small boat or canoe. The spring pushes out an amazing amount of water so the spring is always gin clear. The cavern is small, but nice. The run is usually too shallow to dive, but the basin has alot to look at. Beautiful spring and always super clear.

Becton is on Holmes Creek too. You gotta reach it by boat as well. The spring is small, doesn't flow as much, so it gets flooded easily. It can be kinda interesting though... Its like 2 miles downstream of Cypress.

Merrits Mill Pond in Marianna, FL. Not awhole lot for OW divers to see from what I understand(haven't been there yet, but will in Sept), but you can look at the openings to several different caves from the pond. I'd imagine you can find alot of life around the outskirts of the pond and lots of fish. Supposed to be crystal clear. Jackson Blue supposedly has a nice big cavern to look at thats fairly forgiving if you don't get into the cave itself. Access by boat unless you have atleast Intro Cave Cert.

Thank Mat!! Your great!! Your going to Pelham this weekend?? We would like to meet you one day.

Possibly, I may be taggin along with another group of divers I know are going up there, just waiting on them to let me know exact dates if they are still gonna be able to go(I believe the guy planning the trip is from MS, so he may be busy now...). If not, I may go back to Morrison again(went this past weekend - report and pics in the FL Conch forum) or maybe one of the other springs. Dunno.

Maybe we'll see ya at the springs. We're gonna stay in Bonifay so we can go to Vortex/Morrison and hopefully to PC or Destin in case it clears up a bit. We're in a metalic green trailblazer with dive stickers on the back, lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom