Dive light suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello PT,

I need a primary and backup light in LED, with a switch (not twist on/off kind) with a budget about $100+/- between the 2. Any suggestions?

I am currently leaning toward the Torrent LED as primary and the Impact XL as backup. I would like a backup that I could use to finish my dive on if needed, as opposed to ending it.

Unfortunately, I dive once a year, so basically I'll be using these lights more around the house than in the water.

I was also thinking of getting the Eco Flare. Is there an advantage between that one and the Sport Flare?

Thanks for any help you can give this overwhelmed diver.

For a primary on rec dives we use a UK C4 and a C8 Led. Both are good lights but I would recommend the C4 because it is lighter and gives out a little less light which I prefer on night dives. I am not sure of the current price though. For a backup, we use a Princeton Tec 40 but they are twist on/off.

Hello PT,

I need a primary and backup light in LED, with a switch (not twist on/off kind) with a budget about $100+/- between the 2. Any suggestions?

I am currently leaning toward the Torrent LED as primary and the Impact XL as backup. I would like a backup that I could use to finish my dive on if needed, as opposed to ending it.

Unfortunately, I dive once a year, so basically I'll be using these lights more around the house than in the water.

I was also thinking of getting the Eco Flare. Is there an advantage between that one and the Sport Flare?

Thanks for any help you can give this overwhelmed diver.

Buying a dive light for the first time is just that, overwhelming, but research is key. Read as much about all the lights in the internet, just be weary of buying lights on the internet.

Our Torrent LED with 95 lumens can be used as a Primary dive light in clear conditions (60'+ of visibility) and a backup in murkier waters. If you are diving once a year in Cayman, Torrent LED and Impact XL will be fine, however, the Impact XL may not be enough to finish the dive. If you are diving in murkier waters, such as a lake or quarry, I would recommend nothing short of a Shockwave LED as a primary and Torrent LED as a backup.

The Eco Flare is smaller and uses a blinking red LED light, which burns for 500 hours; it is simply a locator light to identify where and who you are. The sport flare is a larger light which does not use an LED, however the cone can be removed for use as a backup light.

Please visit our website if you have any further questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom