Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this is a fairly long post ,and I know the updates were far and few between. Though as for people with concerns about durability. I let the local dive shop take it on a few dives to play around with it. One guy who works at the shop took it on a dive to the RP Resor.

His buddy mentioned to me after the dive and speaking with them a few days later that the light was so bright she decided she wouldn't even bother turning on her OMS light. I have very limited pictures available of it being used when they played around with the light in the river.

The lens has been tested using weights and levers to have a rating that exceeds the equivalent of a 400' dive. Other components have been tested with a compressor, the lens as well. So far the light has been on numerous dives by myself and the local dive shop. People within range of the light to this point have been impressed with the light output.

The comments about the lens angle can now be addressed as well. The lense has a 15 degree angle and does not seem to scatter the light over a wide area at all. When diving with the light it provides a nice coverage to allow one to see where they are going yet also focused enough to punch through fairly silty/muddy conditions.

I should have more posted for the light soon. Though I beleive the light impressed enough people to this point that the local shop wants 4 of them.

If anyone has any questions go ahead and PM me.

After starting today to get a website up and running, i've got a little more input. After decemeber, I believe I will be having a dozen or so machined to have on hand for the January. After speaking with the local dive shop who wants to sell the light, they are looking to be selling the light at $980 I beleive. With the light output and functions they seem more interested in my light then other lights.

We have recently conducted a test connected to a timer, at full bright we got 2 hours 24 minutes and an 18 minute low battery warning. This is at the full 40 watts. Should you run at the equivalent to 20 watts (1200 Lumen) that number will double as the current draw from the battery is halved, so about 5 hours on full bright. Should you run at the equivalent of 10 watts (roughly 600 lumen) burn time should be in the order of 10 hours.

The light has seen muddy dives, dark dives to 130', pressure tested to over 300', functions well and easily with 5 mm gloves. In a silt out condition, the backscatter is slim and at a higher brightness should there be alot of back scatter just switch to a lower brightness. This light is essentially 3 lights in 1.

--- Update 2/1/2011 ---

Light Software has been updated.
Some components have changed. Hose is now smaller diameter.

Anodizing is possible as well. Updated picture below.
Colors available: Red (as pictured), Black, Dark Blue, Dark Green, Teal, Tangerine, Natural Anodized(Slightly yellow tint)

2fa67f482133f1c934235b73c2a03954_XL.jpg

Last edited:
i havent found a video where you are comparing the light to other manufacturers yet,, is there a link you can send? i am looking for a new can lite but think i have found the one for me,, do u have a commparisson vid to try and show me why i should buy this lite instead of the one i am looking at?

For now this is the best I can do. These pictures were from a Cell Phone I missed out on the dive I was sick. I also have no Underwater Photography equipment that is usable right now. As well as no underwater video capabilites. I am aranging things with the local shop to get this done.

The videos, one is the OMS 10 Watt LED, while the other light (Much brighter light) is mine. Also, the day was a very low visibility day, the guys diving said there was maybe 3' of vis.
This was all taken from the floating dock at McClearie Park, Belmar, NJ. Anyone familiar with the area can vouch for the always bad vis.

So here is what I have. Please pardon the quality of the video/images. They were taking from an LG Dare cell phone camera. Hopefully I will have my drysuit in a reasonable amount of time and have better images representing the light.

YouTube - Ocean Torch 2400 40 Watt Dive Light
YouTube - Ocean Torch 2400 40 Watt Dive Light

1008001842b.jpg

Below Image: Diver on the left is using an OMS 10 Watt, diver on the right has the 40 Watt.
1008001842c.jpg

1008001846.jpg

Below Image: Diver on the left is using the 40 Watt. Faint dot on the right is the OMS 10 Watt.
1008001846a.jpg

1008001846b.jpg

At the above area where the pictures were taken, it is also only about 15' to the bottom at the dock where I was standing.

have you reached a final price yet? and hurry up getting that dry suit fixed so we can see this baby in action

Sorry for the delayed posting, have been rather busy between work, sister's wedding and such. Now to get back to the light.

Dashryn, we are not using that LED, the LED we are using is one from LEDEngin: LZC-C0CW40 LedEngin LED High Power (> 0.5 Watts)

Travis, the local shop has decided to sell it for $980, that's charger, battery, light, handle, 1 yr warranty.

Here are the battery test results
light.jpg

I've been itching to get in the water. my one boat dive this year so far turned out to be a flop... quite literally. Very seasick that day, pony reg o-ring broke at the second stage, so was a very eventful day to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom