Dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakz2fun

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am going to Coco View for the first time in October and I need to buy a dive light before I go. I am confused as to how strong of one I need to get. I plan on doing night dives in addition to the day dives.

Would someone be able to suggest one for me? I get confused as to how many lumens would be good.

thank you for your help and advise. JoAnn

Budget? This is one of most important deciding factors. At every price point, there are different optimal choices.
Then What is the intended purpose? For night dives, you really don't need a very strong light. For day time signaling purpose, you want to get the strongest toughest focus light you can afford.

Budget would be around $100 at the most. I will probably carry it during the day, but mostly want it for night diving. I like taking pics of smaller critters.

Budget would be around $100 at the most. I will probably carry it during the day, but mostly want it for night diving. I like taking pics of smaller critters.

In your price range I'm a big fan of the Tusa 300. TUSA TUL-300 L.E.D. Light TUL-300S with reviews at scuba.com

Just be sure to take an extra set of batteries with you on your trip. I've found that the CR123A batteries it uses are a bit hard to find outside of the US.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2015 at 11:40 AM ----------

In your price range I'm a big fan of the Tusa 300. TUSA TUL-300 L.E.D. Light TUL-300S with reviews at scuba.com

Just be sure to take an extra set of batteries with you on your trip. I've found that the CR123A batteries it uses are a bit hard to find outside of the US.

..Just be sure to take an extra set of batteries with you on your trip. I've found that the CR123A batteries it uses are a bit hard to find outside of the US.

At CocoView, where Jakz2fun is headed, cr123a batteries might well be available at the photo shop- he has a rack of odd shaped batteries, as the Dive Shop has most computer batteries.

But it begs the question. I suggest buying gear that uses the most common batteries. AA or C cells with an LED work fine. For sure Tim Blanton who runs the shop will have plenty of them any day of the week.

(The 123a battery has a very good application for lighting, but it's heritage of use comes from weapons mounted military lights which have an entirely different "pattern of use" and need for higher voltage to weight ratio considerations)

I dive at CCV usually 54 dives a year. I always carry a flashlight, even during the day. I use one flashlight for daytime and as a main for nigh time use. At night, I carry a duplicate flashlight as a backup. I have never come close to burning through a set of 2xC battery sets in a 54 dive trip.

I like the CREE brand, they are a bargain and have really become world class since their early days. Check Amazon

You don't need a whole lot of light.

Notice that both suggested lights are in the 2-300 lumen range. That's all or maybe more you than you need on Roatan - the water is pretty clear generally so no need for some 1000+ lumen light which will mostly scare of (or blind) anything you want to photograph. One more that falls in your range are the Dorcy lights, they're 220 lumens, CREE C4, take AAA batteries (6) and you can get two for under $100. Metal and it twists on/off so there's no switch to fail/leak. They'll also easily fit in most pockets - I carry an extra. Piranha usually has the best deal ($42) unless Dorcy is offering some percentage off on their website - these are both the same light:
Penetrater 220
Dive Lights | LED Dive Lights | 41-0467

Are you planning to use the dive light to take pictures with? Narrowly focused dive lights are just that and often have concentric rings caused by the reflector. So you may want to look for something with a diffused, wider angle beam for macro/close-up shots. None of the above since they'll likely whiteout the area on close-ups of small critters so maybe look for something with a more diffuse beam - something in the 60o range or more.

I have become a fan of the Sea Life Sea Dragon line of lights. I have two that function as both dive and camera video lights. The newer lights (had some demonstrated for me by the rep) have spot beams which a diver can focus on something they may want to point out to a buddy. Pretty cool!

I have the sl980 which is 500 lumens. Brightest setting (of 3) is more than enough for night dives in clear water. I quit using an external flash with my camera and use this light instead. I also have the Sea Dragon 600 (lumens) mini. It also attaches to my camera and has 2 brightness settings. Won't get to try it out until Oct. dive trip, but think I'll like it.

DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

My favorite bang for the buck light is the 1000 lumen DRIS light. Uses 3-"C" cell batteries. This can be used as a primary or a backup light dependent on where your at. Personally I like the 1000 lumen lights, and I have a 3-position can light that I have dove at Coco View, and usually keep it on the 1K, or 2 K setting, and just use the 3K when Im really trying to get someones attention.

Back
Top Bottom