Dive Little Corn Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi TD,
How was the boat ride over to the island? Skeeter's boat with the twin 200 hp still skip from wave to wave while the local women put garbage bags on their hairdoos to keep them dry?

I was down there in November and had a great time but the surge was strong and the vis was not great from a week of tropical storms. Did manage to see Grumpy too,...he is one big grouper.

Waz and Ellie were great and Grant and Kathy run a nice operation but still don't think the place is for the average type of diver I have met in other places. One has to want a very low key, eco type experience with gentle shallow diving. Nightly entertainment was watching the huge land crabs race or just reading.

Is that satellite Internet cafe up and running now?

Cheers

pufferfish once bubbled...
Hi TD,
How was the boat ride over to the island? Skeeter's boat with the twin 200 hp still skip from wave to wave while the local women put garbage bags on their hairdoos to keep them dry?

I was down there in November and had a great time but the surge was strong and the vis was not great from a week of tropical storms. Did manage to see Grumpy too,...he is one big grouper.

Waz and Ellie were great and Grant and Kathy run a nice operation but still don't think the place is for the average type of diver I have met in other places. One has to want a very low key, eco type experience with gentle shallow diving. Nightly entertainment was watching the huge land crabs race or just reading.

Is that satellite Internet cafe up and running now?

Cheers

The boat ride over from Big Corn to Little Corn was the 4pm run and a bit on the bouncy side. Cathy's recommendation to get a life preserver and sit on it worked real good. :)

The ride back was a morning run and a real piece of cake and took a lot less time, too - maybe 25 minutes vs. 45 over.

Yeah, the nightime entertainment was as described, but exactly what I wanted. Like I said before, I don't need a TV or a discoteque at the end of a dive day. The shallow diving up to 70' max and averaging 45-50 was fine by me. Suck less air, stay down longer.

We ran into one really exciting day of surge and the dive at Grant's Cave was like crawling up a ladder. Grab a piece of the cave floor and hold on as the surge took you back, kick a bit and go forward 15-20' on the foreward surge and look for a place to grab on again. Pretty interesting if not exactly fun. One morning dive after a rainy night was very choppy and the 2nd morning dive and the afternoon dives were scrubbed. Getting into the boat in that first morning dive with the boat pitching up and down 5' was pretty interesting too.

The internet cafe is up and running 9am to 12am, which I didn't understand. Had to blow off one of the morning dives to take advantage of it. But what the heck, it's a beautiful, unspoiled place and very, very reasonably priced. We spent around $650 for 12 dives, equipment rental and 8 nights of lodging with breakfast included. I'd go back if there weren't so darned many other places in the world to go. :rolleyes:
=Terry

Hi, just thought I would let you folks know, I will be moving to Little Corn next month. Once there I will post an update for you on current conditions and operations there. I won't be able to give you first hand info on dives beacause it will be about 6 months before I can dive but I'll get some reports from others and pass them on.:D

Mikey, just out of curiousity what will you be doing on LC if you don't mind saying. Definately a better choice than problem infested BC, but I have been to LC twice and there is not a lot to do unless you like loading up Skeeter's boat under the midnight moon and making a scenic trip to San Andres once a month:mean:

Puffer, I am going to Little corn for exactly the reason you stated. There isn't anything going on there. I am in the process of rehabing from a serious illness and just need a place with clean air, empty beaches, and no stress. So other than a lot of running on the beach, some swimming and snorkeling, and reading a few good books, I will be doing absolutely nothing there. I spent many months looking for a place that offered this kind of lifestyle without the high costs and crowded normally associated with many of the more popular destinations. Hopefully this will be the answer for the next year.

Let us know how your stay on Little Corn is working out: where you're staying, if your diving or snorkelling, how the food is, etc. That's a place I'll definitely go back to.
=Terry

I am heading down there in August...If you have any furthe info on the Island that would be much appreciated...

Cheers
Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom