Dive maps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMarineBiologist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey folks,

Just wondering if there is anywhere to get maps of dive sites or if they're basically just charts... I'm talking like with current arrows and things that make it easier to plan the dive.

Cheers!

SMB

Hey folks,

Just wondering if there is anywhere to get maps of dive sites or if they're basically just charts... I'm talking like with current arrows and things that make it easier to plan the dive.

Cheers!

SMB
Most of the maps I have seen that are available do not show you arrows or jumps some will have a main line and some distinguishing factors within the system. I would contact your local dive shop in Cave Country.

It is tough to put the currents on a dive map as it is the ocean and things do change. A particular dive site may have "Prevailing" currents that are often from one direction, but on any given day or at a given time of day may change.

Example 1 Dive site currents may be tidal in nature (Washington State for example has some great dive sites around Oak Harvor, Port Townsend, Evertt etc). This is at the top of Puget Sound. The tides create a very strong current in this area. So the prevailing current is different depending on the tide.

Example 2: In Southern California a dive site at Point Dume (see photo). This is an excellent place to dive, but a very difficult place to dive. Long swim, we are talking 450 yards or so, Now the current (prevailing) is normally from the north (in the photo below you are looking towards the South). This means that you have the current helping you get out, and swimming against it to get back. Lifeguards often rescue SCUBA divers who can not get back. As you can see from the photo you have tall clifts and a very small beach (not visible in the photo) past the point for an emergency bailout (then a nice hike up steps over the 100+ foot point) if you can't get back to the beach you left from. If you miss this postage stamp bail-out beach, then the next location without a verticle cliff face right at the water's edge is about a mile or more to the south. So the "prevailing current" is from the North, but I have dove it where I had to fight the current coming from the south to get out. So currents can change.

So I only expect a map of a dive site to show me the area, great spots to visit, and maybe the bathymetric map of the bottom. Your dive training recommended that you hire a dive master or find someone very familiar with the local diving when you go to a location you are not familiar with. The above is the reason why. Monastery Beach, Monterey California for example is locally called (and signs posted that say this) Mortuary Beach, as it is a terrific dive site, but a killer. The beach has signs posted with the number of deaths there.

Attachments

• pointdume1.jpg
    pointdume1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 71
It is tough to put the currents on a dive map as it is the ocean and things do change. A particular dive site may have "Prevailing" currents that are often from one direction, but on any given day or at a given time of day may change.

Example 1 Dive site currents may be tidal in nature (Washington State for example has some great dive sites around Oak Harvor, Port Townsend, Evertt etc). This is at the top of Puget Sound. The tides create a very strong current in this area. So the prevailing current is different depending on the tide.

Example 2: In Southern California a dive site at Point Dume (see photo). This is an excellent place to dive, but a very difficult place to dive. Long swim, we are talking 450 yards or so, Now the current (prevailing) is normally from the north (in the photo below you are looking towards the South). This means that you have the current helping you get out, and swimming against it to get back. Lifeguards often rescue SCUBA divers who can not get back. As you can see from the photo you have tall clifts and a very small beach (not visible in the photo) past the point for an emergency bailout (then a nice hike up steps over the 100+ foot point) if you can't get back to the beach you left from. If you miss this postage stamp bail-out beach, then the next location without a verticle cliff face right at the water's edge is about a mile or more to the south. So the "prevailing current" is from the North, but I have dove it where I had to fight the current coming from the south to get out. So currents can change.

So I only expect a map of a dive site to show me the area, great spots to visit, and maybe the bathymetric map of the bottom. Your dive training recommended that you hire a dive master or find someone very familiar with the local diving when you go to a location you are not familiar with. The above is the reason why. Monastery Beach, Monterey California for example is locally called (and signs posted that say this) Mortuary Beach, as it is a terrific dive site, but a killer. The beach has signs posted with the number of deaths there.
Yeah I wasn’t asking to go and risk myself but I do better with a visual reference than somebody telling me about the place before entering the water is all.

Good ol point dume. I mean there is a sort of goat trail on the back (south) side but it would suckkkkkk. Done it without gear, have no interest in doing it with lol. I love south to north current days at Dume though tbh, let’s me enjoy the float back lol.

Edit: oops somehow missed your comment on the bailout beach. My bad.

Dep[ending what you want, Wrecksite has the wrecks charted, and you can then work off UKHO maps if needed with the tide tables. I don't know of any single source maps or diagrams I'm afraid. Some local dive shops have maps of wrecks on wall boards with differing levels of info, I think there was one in Loch Aline previously, but I've not been back for a few years.
There is info in the guide books, I think Rod McDonald's books have some things in them, but not sure on level of detail you want.

Short answer, probably no.

Good luck.
Rich

Have you checked Top 100 British Shore Dives by Anita Sherwood?

Dep[ending what you want, Wrecksite has the wrecks charted, and you can then work off UKHO maps if needed with the tide tables. I don't know of any single source maps or diagrams I'm afraid. Some local dive shops have maps of wrecks on wall boards with differing levels of info, I think there was one in Loch Aline previously, but I've not been back for a few years.
There is info in the guide books, I think Rod McDonald's books have some things in them, but not sure on level of detail you want.

Short answer, probably no.

Good luck.
Rich
Thank you, I will take a look there!

Back
Top Bottom