Dive Master Course keeps getting postponed, What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's what I'm beginning to believe. I'm more & more starting to look at this further delay as a blessing in disguise. I was links of feeling in a time crunch with the class to start in May, now I can practice some basics some more & become profiecent at it, when the water warms up a tad. I will discuss my concerns with the instructor & just hope it doesn't get postponed any more. Thanks for all the replies. You all gave me lots of insight. I really appreciate it.

I used the first 3 months of my DM education, gaining experience and seeing how instructors handle students. It was great, and made me realize that theres is no rush. Basicly the more experience, the easier it is to succeed and become a better DM.

I wish you the best of luck with your education when it starts.

There really isnt much difference to either on when it is all said and done. What it comes down to is do you want to work as a PADI DM or a SSI Divecon?
If you wanting to ba an Instructor and to move to sunny ST. Somewhere I would tell you to go PADI. (more jobs)

Either way I would keep working on the skills and be getting the text materials for both PADI & SSI wouldn't hurt and start studying them now.

Have you considered calling Glen at Mermet Springs? I'm not for sure when they are having their next dive master class, but I know they had one back before the end of the year... November maybe....I got an email asking for volunteers to be "victims" for the class. If you do end up taking it with someone else you might send him an email.

If you do wait and stay with this instructor, think of it like this... you are getting more dive time and practice to get ready for the class!

jdarnall2001:
Have you considered calling Glen at Mermet Springs? I'm not for sure when they are having their next dive master class, but I know they had one back before the end of the year... November maybe....I got an email asking for volunteers to be "victims" for the class. If you do end up taking it with someone else you might send him an email.

If you do wait and stay with this instructor, think of it like this... you are getting more dive time and practice to get ready for the class!

I haven't called Glen for the fact that Mermet is a 2 1/2hr drive each way for me. That's a bit much when my original instructor is 10 min. away & the other I'm considering is 30 min. I love Mermet as an occasional dive spot, but with the $ of gas today, it's rather prohibitive to go there on a regular basis. I have already started studying & reading the material for the class with my first instructor, so will probably just wait it out. When I come to think of it, I am also preparing to start diving doubles very soon (I am taking a technical prerequisite course right now), so this would give me time to adjust to the new configurations. I will talk to my instructor to see if she'd mind if I "tagged along" with some of her classes. I doubt she would mind at all & you are all right that it would only benefit me in the long run.

Maybe we are the exception but with our shop when you are ready to start the course you start whether it is DM or OW. Students pay good money for these courses and should not have to wait on somebody else's schedule to get their work in. Now granted you may need to schedule pool time and work in dives if any kind of travel is involved but there is no reason to not do the academics. If the shop is a busy one and has alot of DM's and instructors then surely someone can do some of the work with you. Assisting with classes even as a tagalong or just as another person to help the instructor and DM's keep an eye on students is always a bonus. Now these people are never left alone with students unless the students are already certified but it helps all of us when we have to watch 2 or more and the vis is crappy. Or just having someone beside a newbie can calm them down. If the shop is not real busy then why can't she go over some of the knowledge reviews and such with you when it's open and nothing else is going on. If someone comes in then they get taken care of and you can be used as an example of someone who is continuing their education and perhaps even assist with the customer. Most shops love free labor! But again it's up to you but if you are ready and the others are not why the wait. This is as dumb as the one instructor in my area who teaches a solo course but requires 2 students to do it even after being offered extra money for a private lesson. His rationale- you have a buddy if something goes wrong! Makes no sense.

Back
Top Bottom