Dive master internship... with a twist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWCC ready

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone, hope you can help...
I am 17 and turn 18 on April 16, I am in an early graduation program and will finish high school in the middle of January. First of all is it even possible to start one of the internship programs at 17, but not finish until I am 18? Second, I have a budget of about $7000 over all, I am looking for a program that includes accommodations, and I REALLY want to work at the shop, on the boat, and with as many people as possible, experiencing as much as I can. If there is an option that includes all of this as well as the length I would need (at least 3 months, I want to get as much experienced as possible) that would be great. I also really want to travel, and read something about working for training on a live aboard, that sounds awesome. I found programs in Utila for 2 months but none for 3, and I really don't want to go to one of the C card shops in Thailand (especially the one that seems to take every chance possible to advertise on this forum).

Sorry for being so long winded, thanks for any help in advance.

Hi 'SWCC ready', and congrats on your decision to Go Pro! From a PADI perspective, you need to be 18 years old to ENROLL in the program so that's coming up really soon for you anyway (but not by mid-January). You could always enrich your marketability between now and then taking things like Gas Blender, Valve Repair Technician, or Cylinder Inspector. All of these will be good on your diving resume when you are looking for longer-term placement. You also need to up your dives - 20 is good enough to enroll, but you'll need 60 to be certified as a DM, so get diving! :D

I did my IDC Staff Instructor at Utila Dive Center and would highly recommend them. Not only is the instruction first-rate, you'll get a chance to actually work in the industry and learn so much that the books won't teach you. I'm not affiliated with UDC, just a Fan, btw.

Another option - where I got my initial DM and Instructor certs - would be Pro Dive in Fort Lauderdale. Immediately after graduation, most graduates head down to the Florida Keys and quickly find work in the industry. A word of caution though, many Resorts will want you to be an Instructor even to work as a DM. That's because you're more flexible and marketable. The way to get around this is to beef up your other aspects, things like being really good at video, web or photo in addition to your DM skills.

Hope that helps? BTW - I live in Seattle so am of no help to you directly! ;-)

Last edited:
Hello everyone, hope you can help...
I am 17 and turn 18 on April 16, I am in an early graduation program and will finish high school in the middle of January. First of all is it even possible to start one of the internship programs at 17, but not finish until I am 18? Second, I have a budget of about $7000 over all, I am looking for a program that includes accommodations, and I REALLY want to work at the shop, on the boat, and with as many people as possible, experiencing as much as I can. If there is an option that includes all of this as well as the length I would need (at least 3 months, I want to get as much experienced as possible) that would be great. I also really want to travel, and read something about working for training on a live aboard, that sounds awesome. I found programs in Utila for 2 months but none for 3, and I really don't want to go to one of the C card shops in Thailand (especially the one that seems to take every chance possible to advertise on this forum).

Sorry for being so long winded, thanks for any help in advance.

Wow, you need to slow down a bit a take a few breaths! First, if you really only have 0-24 dives, it is far too early to decide about going Pro. You need more dives and to take the Rescue class for now. You need to see if you can handle working with other divers or if it is too much for you. And also you need to get more dives under your belt. It is a good idea to start diving in various conditions also... deep, night, current, cold water, etc. All will build on your skill set and make you a better diver.

I know you are anxious to become a Pro, but it isn't for everyone. Many divers fall in love with diving from their first dive. Some take the step to move up the ladder. My husband is one, he knew from his first time in the pool that he wanted to be an instructor. He took his time though - the first year he did OW, AOW, and Rescue as well as going on 2 dive trips to warm water to dive. Then he moved up to DM shortly after and worked with our local dive shop as a DM for a year. Then he moved up to AI and worked at that with our local dive shop for another 2 years as well as several more dive trips to warm and cold water. As a DM and AI he worked with about a dozen instructors, learning from them and all the crazy situations that occur during OW and AOW classes. Then he moved up to Instructor. By that time he was well prepared in his skills with other divers and students, as well as logging over 300 dives on his own in various conditions and dive sites around the world. He is a great instructor. :D

In contrast, our LDS had another instructor recently who went straight from OW to instructor in 1 year, only diving here locally and in Hawaii (where he got his Instr cert). He was a lousy instructor, he knew the bookwork but couldn't handle students and didn't have any "real world" diving experiences to draw upon to solve issues while teaching. Needless to say, he is no longer an instructor here. It was just overwhelming for him mentally and he finally realized it after one too many close calls with near accidents. :shocked2:

I am not telling you this to discourage you. I am just letting you know that there is plenty of time to become a Pro and taking it slow is better than rushing. I know when I got certified (along with hubby and our 12 yr old daughter), I would not have wanted an 18 year old instructor. Our instructor had been diving over 10 yrs and was the Course Director in our area. He still is a fabulous diver and instructor, he never lost his passion and part of that is that he is an active DIVER, too.

Just my 2 cents.

robin:D

Thank you both for the information:

Divecanuck- Do you know where I can take those classes, they sound interesting.

robint- I agree that I wouldn't want to be taught by an 18 year old instructor, but would you mind having someone my age helping with your equipment, around the shop, and helping an instructor? I want to go pro, but not all the way to instructor, I just want to network with other divers, build my reputation, and learn something. These interships seem the best way to do this, you work around the shop, and help other divers while being trained as a dive master, that is what I want to do. After I finish this, I will be going into the navy, not trying to achieve OWSI.

Thank you both for the information:

Divecanuck- Do you know where I can take those classes, they sound interesting.

robint- I agree that I wouldn't want to be taught by an 18 year old instructor, but would you mind having someone my age helping with your equipment, around the shop, and helping an instructor? I want to go pro, but not all the way to instructor, I just want to network with other divers, build my reputation, and learn something. These interships seem the best way to do this, you work around the shop, and help other divers while being trained as a dive master, that is what I want to do. After I finish this, I will be going into the navy, not trying to achieve OWSI.

If you really want to work as a DM for awhile then you should check the dive shops in your area. Do your DM training and internship with them. They are more willing to let you do that since they know you rather than going to another destination where you are a stranger.

There are some good, inexpensive DM programs in the Caribbean if you really want to go out-of-country. Look at Roatan and Utila in Honduras.

Roatan
at CoCoView Resort: Roatan Divemaster Internship at Dockside Dive Center, Western Caribbean
at Bananarama: Bananarama Dive Center
at Coconut Tree Divers: Coconut Tree Divers - PADI 5-Star IDC Dive Resort on Roatan, Honduras - scuba diving courses, divemaster internships, instructor development, tec diving, and more!
at Subway Sports: Roatan Honduras divemaster internship - Be a dive bum on Roatan

Utila
Utila Dive Centre|PADI Career Development Center|PADI Scuba Diving|Utila Bay Islands Honduras|Caribbean and Central America

Just be aware, you MUST have completed Rescue and CPR before you start DM in addition to having at least 50 dives.

robin:D

First of all, please dont let anyone discourage you from following something you are passionate about. A quick note to robint.... my girlfriend started diving when she was 8. By the time she was 18 she had experience in all types of situations and made a great instructor. Age means nothing. I would much rather be taught by an 18 year old, fit instructor than some of the 60 year old, out of shape, hard headed instructors I have met.

SWCC READY - there are numerous programs that you could get into. I did a program called Pro Dive in Ft. Lauderdale Florida that I was thrilled with. The timefram from OW through Instructor is about 3 months. However, this includes a lot. The days are long at times and you are here almost daily. The plus side is that you are learning a lot and diving a lot. The contents of the program are listed here:
Pro Dive - 2009 Course Schedule

Pro Dive also offers a unique program called the ROS which includes Dive Shop Operations, Charter Operations, Fill Station Operations. Thefill station operations includes Cylinder Inspection, Valve Repair, O2 Cleaning, Gas Blender, etc.

If you have anymore questions for a guy who did this same type of program, feel free to contact me anytime.

Good Luck,
Matt

There's one in Manzanillo, Mexico that goes has diferent programs. I've checked and Open water to Divemaster goes for USD $ 3,600. (5,500 For Instructor)

You might want to check them out, here's their website Neptunes Diving

I'm not really experienced enough to give a quality assesment over their work over there. But it seems to me that over all they do a good job with their students, I've have some great experiences with them (the most) and some really bad experiences (the least).

I hope this helped you.

SWCC ready,
do not let age refrain you. The key point is: when you are good enough, you are old enough. Teaching is special and the best teachers have something many people don't. Doesn't matter their age most of the time, while of course, if motivation is kept, experience matter.
As matt83 just said, some divers have started very young and have eventually lots of experience in the water, including in other water sports.

What matters most is attitude. Whatever the age, always remember that the people you will dive with may have much less of much more diving experience, and what they expect is to enjoy the dive. They may dive one or twice a year and don't remember how to to the basis first, and especially don't have the leg muscles a DM who dives twice per day has.
If you show any arrogance because you know more than this other guys, it is not the right attitude. Unfortunately, this behavior is more common with young DM than older ones. Maybe they have to prove something, or dont feel that comfortable teaching, or are just bored.
But I would be completely ok to dive with a 18-25yo DM who would be able to teach me something during the dive, and demonstrate the right attitude.
I've diven with both specimen, and with more experience, I'm becoming less and less tolerant to the arrogant ones ...

Good luck with your process. Working as a DM or OWI as a part job while at college is likely going to be little more fun than getting money working tough hours at a fab or starbuck...

I'm currently implementing a similar plan, just at a different time of my life! I'll be retiring in 5.5 years, and I would like to travel around the world, finding places to be a DM or instructor to supplement my retirement and keep me out of trouble. As part of my plan, I completed my Rescue Diver May of 2009.

This fall, I'll be spending 6-8 weeks (depending on how much vacation time I can save) in Mexico getting my DM certification. I'll be diving up to 3 times a day, 6 days a week, hauling tanks, cleaning gear, helping with instruction, and of course leading tourists on dives. I was told I'll be the "scuba $%itch" but it will be worth it because of the amount of experience I'll gain and the price is -cheap-.

My advice to you, SWCC ready, would be to find a place you like, then hook up with your shop of choice in that area and see if they have a program that works for you. That's what I did- although I've been diving with these guys for 3.5 years, so it was a bit easier for me to talk them into stretching the 2-3 week program into 6-8 weeks.

Lots of people seem to suggest that Pro dive program, but I'm only 17 and don't turn 18 until april 16, I think you've got to be 18 to start the divemaster program. The program is only 16 and 1/2 half days

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom