Dive Master required on every dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason

Registered
Reaction score
A friend recently took a recreational scuba instructor course from ANDI and was told that my agency (fire department) must have a dive master on every dive, with insurance, regardless whether it's a training dive or an actual callout.

We've had our team for almost 20 years, and have nearly every member PSD and Dive Rescue I certified from Dive Rescue International. We've never heard a dive master is a requirement, nor the insurance. Was this a misunderstanding, or are we in violation or some rules?

This is what happens when Recreational Divers try and mingle in the PSD field. What in the world makes a DM, or higher rec cert think they can run a PSD operation?

The first Deputy on scene is in charge until the first diver shows up to take over the water operation. We aren’t going to wait for a DM or higher to show up to play hand holding for an operation.

Gary D.

Ask him to cite the law that requires it.

He'll probably get a confused look on his face and start his response with "But xxxxxxx said ......"

Unless there's a local code that requires it in his/your area he's mistaken.

Just playing Devils Advocate on the semantics here.

Divemaster as a certification level certainly has nothing to do with a PSD team.

Divemaster as a job description, meaning the individual in charge of the diving operation certainly has a place on any PSD team, coordinating and keeping track of all the divers working the scene.

Think "Site Commander".

Cal Osha calls that "Person-in-Charge" and you are correct that one is required at each operation. Liability insurance is not a listed requirement though.

A friend recently took a recreational scuba instructor course from ANDI and was told that my agency (fire department) must have a dive master on every dive, with insurance, regardless whether it's a training dive or an actual callout.

...Was this a misunderstanding, or are we in violation or some rules?

The person who made this statement is either misquoted or not aware of factual information. (And I agree with Gary, this is common when recreational agencies dabble in PSD...)

The NFPA* has drafted a Public Safety Diving standard and compliance is voluntary. While there can be civil liability issues there is no mandate that requires a certified dive master on each dive operation. The NFPA standard can be viewed on-line at:
http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=100608
The portion that addresses this issue reads...

13.2* Level II General Requirements.
In addition to the requirements of

Level I, candidates shall possess accepted advanced open water SCUBA

certification from a nationally recognized agency. At the entry level, and for

any specialties utilized by an organization at Level II, the AHJ shall ensure
provision of qualifying in that specialty by a nationally recognized certifying
agency. The curriculum for such qualification shall be oriented toward
the needs and operational requirements of public safety diving as defined herein.

Supervise, coordinate, and lead dive teams during operations, given

incident checklists, dive checklists, maps, topographic surveys, charts, and

pre-dive/post-dive medical evaluation checklist, so that teams are managed,

personnel are supervised, hazards are assessed and identified, safety and
health of team is ensured, qualifications/abilities of divers are verified, predive
briefing is conducted, and post-dive medical evaluation and briefing is
performed.
(A)

Requisite Knowledge.
“Divemaster” level knowledge; knowledge of

supervisory practices, dive tables, emergency procedures, communications

procedures, local protocols, and pre-dive safety checks.

A.13.2

The committee is of the opinion that Advanced Open Water

certification provided by most nationally recognized certifying agencies

(agencies associated with the Recreational SCUBA Training Council) build

an acceptable foundation for the basic SCUBA skills required for dive rescue
technician. These courses do not, however, offer all of the skills required to
meet these standards, and further training and experience in special hazards
expected to be encountered in the AHJ’s territory should be sought.
Examples of nationally recognized certifying agencies include PADI,
NAUI, YMCA, SSI, and DRI. Candidates should have experience diving
in various environments by taking additional specialties. Examples of
specialties include ice, current, hazardous materials, dry suit, and lifting
operations. Annual confirmation of these skills should be performed to
ensure continued competency. An example of these skills can be found in
Figure A.13.2 on the following page.
Candidates should demonstrate leadership skills similar to that of a
“Divemaster” as defined by the Recreational SCUBA Training Council. The
dive rescue technician should have documented substantial dive experience in
varied environments and have the ability to supervise and lead others. These
personnel should also be able to employ checklists to identify pre- and postdive

needs.

The standard does not require a certified divemaster, it requires that the "Level II diver" have "divemaster level knowledge." And while the NFPA standard may set requirements, compliance is voluntary. For someone to state otherwise indicates that they do not have knowledge of the standard and may cause some to question their ability to teach public safety diving.​

Along the same lines, I would suggest that everyone be VERY leery of anyone who claims that they offer an "NFPA compliant" program or that their training "meets the NFPA standard." Anyone who states this doesn't know the standard well enough since the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) is the only one who can establish what training their personnel are required to have. The AHJ determines the standard, NOT the commercial training agency. I.E., the AHJ can require that their PSDs are also EMTs; is the commercial dive training vendor also qualified to teach EMT class?​

Glad to set the record straight...​

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
Dive Rescue International - Water Rescue Training & Equipment

NOTE: Regarding the NFPA, the PSD Standard is not applicapable to Fire Departments only. It applies to ALL public safety dive teams. The body that certifies the NFPA code development process is the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and ANSI is the official U.S. representative to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).

Thanks for the replies. I was aware of the limitations of recreational diving standards onto governmental entities, but as I had never heard of this claim, became concerned.

The ANDI instructor also told him we weren't allowed to fill our own tanks as we're not trained and certified to do so. We have a $50,000 Bauer Unicus III compressor, which does constant air monitering, and we do air quality testing with every three months with a professional contractor.

We fill not only SCUBA, but all our firefighting packs. Of course, we don't do visuals or hydros ourselves, but have them done as needed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel we're competent to do air filling ourselves.

I appreciate the advice from you all, and also sent this link to my DRI instructor. I'm sure she'll be pleased!

Thanks

We are sending our dive tanks out for hydro and vis at the time. In the future we would like to have one of our own be able to do the vis inspections. We have a cascade on our dive unit so we can do our own fills.

The ANDI instructor also told him we weren't allowed to fill our own tanks as we're not trained and certified to do so.

Another laugh. Do you know what the average dive shop's "certification" for filling tanks is?

1. Hook the thank up
2. Turn this knob
3. Turn off the knob when the tank is filled.

An exaggeration, but not by much.

Back
Top Bottom