dive master water skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I improved my times completely off the scale by going to the apollo bio fins. I gained over a minute on the tired diver tow alone and was not exhausted after the tow compared to paddle fins and other splits I used. If you can get a dive shop to let you try a pair in the pool give them a try and see what you think!

Wow as to preparing for the swim have I got a story on that one. I could not swim at all when I got certified (We had the choice of the swim or snorkle I chose snorkle) Since I only dove I never really even gave a thought to wanting to learn to swim as my mentality for that time period was why learn. Well when reality set in that things can go wrong I decided 3 years after certification I should learn to swim. Last December I took the plunge and well somehow managed to throw together some messed up swim patterns and threw them all together.

To make a long story short I had NEVER swam even 20 meters in my whole life before Decemeber and yet somehow worked it all together and passed the swim test just a few months later. It was not perfect and the score was low but by goalie I passed with the bare minimum points required :)

Honestly I recommend eating the bananas for the magnesium and also beacuse its a good source of energy. According to fines, I don't recommend split fins, you need something that gives you the maximum thrust. I prefer fins like Mares Quatro Aventi or Technisub Stratos. They are the best

Tired diver tow is best done with a firm paddle fin for maximum thrust that splits just can't generate. If you are normally a split fin user that means that you tend to use a short flutter kick that just won't generate thrust with paddle type fins. Grab a set of paddle style fins and practice kicking with long strokes from the upper leg muscles. Build those muscles and from then on your be able to generate greater thrust with paddles than you ever could with splits. This comes in handy in strong current but you'll burn more energy and air to do it so consider them for shorter distance and this exercise.

800 snorkel is a matter of finding a pace you can maintain. As others have suggested split fins may have an advantage here a suggestion isn't so much which brand but of the respected models those that are negatively buoyant have an advantage. If your instructor allows you a set of ankle weights can help. I also found a snorkel manufacture by Kapitol Reef called the Kadence to help with breathing.

400 swim - switch strokes take rest segments using sidestrokes or swimming on your back. Again watch your pace.

Tread/float - Float on your back arms stretched last 2 minutes flip up wrists or tread to keep hands out.

Equipment exchange - Start in your dive buddy's gear and work the exchange slowly to end in your own gear. Either you or your buddy should install a long hose primary and use that primary for the exchange. Use weight belts instead of integrated weight system.

Back
Top Bottom