Dive Medical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prestonhf01

Registered
Reaction score
i took my dive medical on the 12 of Jan... and because i was born without half of my left arm i failed, i can become a Master Diver but nothing commercial...

my question is what kind of job can i get to do diving? because i need diving experience and money to further my diving career

I "believe" you can get PADI certificate as a Divemaster (I could be wrong), sort of the equivalent of a mate on a fishing boat. You work for a few bucks, tips, and the experiance you gain. I don't know how much further than that you could go. Any PADI experts ??

Prestonhf01:
i took my dive medical on the 12 of Jan... and because i was born without half of my left arm i failed, i can become a Master Diver but nothing commercial...

my question is what kind of job can i get to do diving? because i need diving experience and money to further my diving career

Missing a limb need not be a handicap in recreational diving. I have known excellent divers and instructors who were missing an arm. It never slowed them down at all. If you want to be a dive master or instructor, missing an arm will be a challenge, but not an insurmountable one.

To answer your question, You can gain experience as an instructor or a dive store employee, but don't expect to make much money.

Go to a real dive Doc and you should be good to go. Missing half an arm is no big deal, some of us are missing half a brain! :)...The only place I see any real problems is in doing rescue breathing but even that can be over come. Good luck!!!!

captndale:
Missing a limb need not be a handicap in recreational diving.
..snip..

Wildcard:
Go to a real dive Doc and you should be good to go. Missing half an arm is no big deal,
..snip..

I find this a little hard to swallow.
At least 10% of my logged dives were done in strong current conditions where even with two good arms I was quite pushed.
How do you go hand over hand down a shot line or along a tag line in a 2-3knot current.
And quite often on night dives I really would like to have a third arm. :wink:

the arm over arm i find the hardest.... i do alot of running to make my legs stronger...

going down i rope i pull down with my right arm and to equilize i switch to my half arm hook kind of thing tends to work.. only prob is getting on boat with strong currenent because i have to fight the current and get on the boat and hold bar... by the end its hard to pull myself up... so i developing upper body strength

Back
Top Bottom