ugh...getting a training medical form

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Voting would need to be anonymous. Nobody wants to create a public record that they falsify forms.

A staggering number of claims involve people lying on their medical forms. This has become the norm, not the exception. I have had multiple cases where the diver died on the first or second dive from the medical condition they knew they had, and also knew it was a contraindication to diving.
The thread BoulderJohn cited is a good one, offering different perspectives on a contentious issue, much like this one. It's often a more multi-faceted issue than initially meets the eye.

From the blurb above, the attorney mentioned having had multiple cases where a diver knowing he/she had a medical contraindication chose to dive anyway (and presumably died). That's not the same as people who could probably get the form done and choose not to.

Something I don't think ever got directly addressed was, when a diver dies and the family considers suing, how does the relative protective power of a medical form where the diver checked 'No' to everyone (but age 46+ or what-have-you) compare to one where the diver got a physician's sign off (likely from a physician with little knowledge of diving)?

Putting aside highly medically compromised people, is a case where you can show the deceased lied not better than one where you show he was known to have some underlying condition (albeit a care giver signed off on it)?

50-60% of all underwater fatalities involve underlying medical conditions, both known and unknown.
I imagine a lot of above water fatalities also involve such. I appreciate the numbers, but wonder what to make of them.

Richard.

You could do that, but make sure there's a question that asks "Were you truthful on this survey" just in case someone wasn't.
Who is going to take the time to take a silly SB poll and then lie on it? What purpose would that serve?

Who is going to take the time to take a silly SB poll and then lie on it? What purpose would that serve?
People who lie on the survey will tell the truth when asked if they lied on the survey.

It's a reflexive reaction designed to alleviate the responder of the guilt they feel about the previous lying.

People who lie on the survey will tell the truth when asked if they lied on the survey.

It's a reflexive reaction designed to alleviate the responder of the guilt they feel about the previous lying.
It's anonymous--nobody is going to ask them if they lied.

So
I'm thinking forward to someday getting my kids into an OW training class and I will simultaneously take a refresher along with them while I "audit" their class.
So, since I'll be doing training to I took a look at the medical form. If I'm honest I have to check a few boxes. Gerd, high cholesterol, maybe some other minor thing, but the catch was surgery. i just had surgery a few weeks ago (Gerd+ hiatal hernia repair) so i had the form in hand when I went in for my 1 week follow-up appointment with the surgeon. Actually with his PA. She said (as did the surgeon when i asked) that she has no problem with me diving after my recovery but she refused to sign the form! Said I need to go to my primary car doc since he knows me better. I'm just frustrated because the only reason I need the doc to sign is because of the GERD which is now theoretically fixed and the recent surgery which my regular doc knows nothing about!
so one to-do item left floating for the future. ugh
They just dont want to be the ones at risk.

I hate it to. Gatekeeper nonsense.

I have no medical history. This is just a waste of my time, and makes me no safer. It's so silly. If Im a mess, I just find a doctor thatll sign off on anything. Theres no less than a dozen old, fat, train wrecks on every warm water boat Ive been on. They could keel over at any time.

I dont think Ill need one until AN/DP. Everything before that, I can find a LDS that needs no form.
Its a way to pass the blame

I'm so damn glad that UCSD's dive medicine team does walk ins. My primary care is through UCSD so the dive medicine team can see everything and give me a really informed opinion about me and diving (they are one of the co-authors of that DAN medical form everyone uses). I have zero issue getting the forms done, since I'd rather a doc keep me out of the water and get something resolved than finding out underwater something was seriously wrong. Due to classes and other things I've talked to them every 2 years now, and its a really great experience that I feel fortunate to have access to (also its only like $35 or something trivial). I'll continue to go them periodically and after any major surgeries for return to dive clearance/opinions.

It's anonymous--nobody is going to ask them if they lied.
But we SHOULD ask them if they lied on the survey. And possibly follow up with another question asking if they lied about lying on the survey. Everyone deserves a second chance.

But we SHOULD ask them if they lied on the survey. And possibly follow up with another question asking if they lied about lying on the survey. Everyone deserves a second chance.
Okay, then start your own poll, asking those things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom