Dive Medicals

Should dive medicals be mandatory?

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 62 86.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot really understand why so many are opposed to mandatory medicals.
If I travel alone and have to dive with an unknown buddy it would be nice to know that he is at least physically capable of finishing the dive. And maybe helping me out in case of an emergency instead of getting a coronary because the situation might be too stressful for him.

And you think a ‘dive medical’ will give you that assurance? It won’t.

It will be better than nothing at all.

I really doubt it, which is why I voted no. Over 86% of those who completed the pole clearly agree with me. YMMV of course. Just my opinion.

I really doubt it, which is why I voted no. Over 86% of those who completed the pole clearly agree with me. YMMV of course. Just my opinion.
I suspect the poll is biased by a lot of people who don't want to be told they can't dive anymore.

I suspect the poll is biased by a lot of people who don't want to be told they can't dive anymore.
Perhaps, but I still believe that for all of the reasons that have been captured in this thread, mandatory dive medicals would do almost nothing to avoid medical episodes while diving. Life is fragile and we are all going to die one day. That may be while diving, sleeping, walking, hiking, golfing, eating dinner, etc, etc. It is impossible to know in advance. A mandatory 'diving medical' form will not minimize the risk of death while diving in any meaningful way. That is just asking too much. Again, my opinion only as a non-medical professional.

With this said, as I age and deal with my own health issues (two broken bones in 8 months), I take my own physical abilities to dive very seriously. I will not dive if I do not feel I am good to do it safely. If I ever get to a point where a 'dive medical' becomes required, I will get one. Better than not diving at all. Given that I am finished with any planned dive training and I am no longer carrying any active professional credentials, I do not carry one currently.

Because you do you and I'll do me.

If you want a dive medical, GREAT! Go talk to a doctor and get one if that makes you happy. Nobody's saying "don't get a dive medical" or "do get a dive medical". Do what makes you happy in this regard.

Give everyone else the same courtesy of making whatever choice makes them happy. If making me get a dive medical because it makes you happy when I don't want or need it (it makes me unhappy, for no demonstrable benefit other than "It will be better than nothing at all"), then that's crossing a very big line.

I have a great deal of respect for doctors: their training, their experience, skills, and advice. I have paid some of the very best available to me and appreciate what we've accomplished. But at the end of the day, they're paid consultants and any decision regarding my health is ultimately mine. A mandatory permission slip is antithetical.

If I travel alone and have to dive with an unknown buddy it would be nice to know that he is at least physically capable of finishing the dive. And maybe helping me out in case of an emergency instead of getting a coronary because the situation might be too stressful for him.

So you don't actually want diving medicals, you want assurances about your insta-buddy. This may come as a shock, but... you ain't gonna get 'em from some doctor in another country 11 months ago.

In your example, you point at a dive medical from another diver that might be your buddy.

You'll only know if your buddy is physically capable of finishing the dive after the dive.
If I was your insta-buddy and you ask me for my dive medical just before the dive, I'd raise an eyebrow and smile.

If you want a dive medical, GREAT! Go talk to a doctor and get one if that makes you happy. Nobody's saying "don't get a dive medical" or "do get a dive medical". Do what makes you happy in this regard.

Give everyone else the same courtesy of making whatever choice makes them happy. If making me get a dive medical because it makes you happy when I don't want or need it (it makes me unhappy, for no demonstrable benefit other than "It will be better than nothing at all"), then that's crossing a very big line.
I did not feel I was being discourteous with my statement.
Why does it enrage you in such a strange way?

You'll only know if your buddy is physically capable of finishing the dive after the dive.
If I was your insta-buddy and you ask me for my dive medical just before the dive, I'd raise an eyebrow and smile.
If it was mandatory I would not have to ask you for it, would I?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom