Dive metric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dea

Reaction score
Did you guys ever had to use a metric computer?
Are there any other differences besides showing meters instead of ft?

If its AI, it will have bars instead of psi.

It will also display temp in C instead of F.

It only fits metric wrists and takes metric batteries, and requires a metric computer interface with metri... nm. :confused: :D

what's AI and how much is a bar? (I only vaugly remember something about bars mentioned in ow...)

AI is air integrated. ie measures tank pressure

1 bar = 1 atmosphere = 14.5psi = 10.2 metres of water (all approx)

Using bar and metres of water makes all the maths pretty easy

Dea,

Bar is a measure of preasure, although I couldn't explain it accurately enough from memory.

Basically a 12Ltr Alluminium tank is filled, for example, to 200bar. this means you 200 x 12ltrs or 2,400 ltrs of air. How this relates to PSI I couldn't say. I would like to know!!

AI is artificial intelegence. And no, I don't know how this relates to Dive Comps. Unless it uses GPS to tell where in the world you are and changes your comp from Metric to imperial for you. :)

I agree that metric system is much easier.
The relationship between cm->m->km is very logical. C temp, liters, kilos. they all connect with each other so effortlessly in all the calculations.
But relationship between ft -> yard ->mile eludes me to this day. as are oz, quarts, gallons. I cannot understand why would anyone willingly choose to live by the system that is so illogical and inconvenient.

So I'm thinking of getting a metric computer (even though all the diving I learned was in the imperial system) but I plan to be diving in Europe in Asia, so maybe it is not a bad idea.
I hope I will adjust easily. I just would like to know if there is anything I did not anticipate?

(btw, the computer is air integrated (nitrox too))

The main concern you will have diving metric, is that your dive buddy (at least in the USA) will be diving imperial, and you may have problems comparing remaining air, setting depth limits, etc. I dive with metric instruments, and I always have to convert my bar tank reading to psi and tell my buddies with hand signals how much air I have remaining, because they just have no idea :rolleyes: But if you're going to be doing a lot of diving in Europe and Asia, you'll probably find that most divers (unless you're diving with other Americans) will be using metric instruments.

I much prefer diving metric (plus I'm from Australia which is a metric country) - it makes depth / ATA calculations so easy - basically each 10m = 1 ATA.

so,

surface = 1 ATA
10m deep = 2 ATA
20m deep = 3 ATA
30m deep = 4 ATA
40m deep = 5 ATA

See a pattern? Also be aware that the metric "standard" taught by some agencies is to surface with 50 bar, as opposed to 500 psi in the US. 50 bar is actually about 700 psi, so there's a larger safety margin for new divers diving metric as opposed to diving imperial.

Plus if the US ever moves to the metric system, you'll be way ahead of the curve :)

I am used to metric and I have tried diving metric while my buddy's on imperial - it pretty much sucks, and it adds a task that I just don't want to be doing every time I check my air, as well as during planning, etc.

I made sure my new computer has switchable units (Uwatec) and I currently dive with it showing imperial. A lot of computers have this ability.

I also bought the cool SPG shown here http://www.omsdive.com/regs.html, which shows both scales.

Mark.

I don't know that you will need to purchase a metric computer. At least two models that I have used (Suunto Mosquito and Aeris 500AI) allow you to switch back and forth in the setup mode (not while diving).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom