Dive Mishap Key Largo 1/13/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read this brief news article in the Paper today about the death of a first time diver.
The article link is here:
http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Florida/floSTAT01012107.htm
Not much information about what actually happened though.
Does anyone else have any information about this tragedy?

My sincere condolences go out to the family.

The article stated, " A rookie scuba diver has died five days after she passed out as her husband gave her instructions.

XXXX, a 40-year-old from Canton, Ohio, died Thursday at Mariners Hospital.
XXXX was scuba diving for the first time on Jan. 13 with her husband YYYY, a certified diver.
Dan Dawson, who owns the commercial boat they were diving from, said the couple were among a dozen divers aboard that day, including a dive master and captain.
The couple, who were in the water, first signaled they were OK, then waved for help, Dawson said. The dive master dove in and swam over to administer rescue breaths and bring XXXX back to the boat. An emergency room doctor who happened to be on board took over the attempt to resuscitate the unconscious diver.
The boat returned to harbor and she was taken to the hospital. A cause of death has not been released."

Once again, my thoughts and prayers go oout to the family.

Hi, I can't began to express my heart felt sympathy to the family of the Motters, I'm sure I can speak for all of us here on this forum. I was in Tavineir at Coconut cove resort waiting to due some last minute lobster diving with Sonny and his folks at Ocean Quest Divers!!! I have always been a thrill seeker, that is until I started diving. I am certified through SSI. Stress and Rescue. I wanted to dive so bad on the 12,13,and 14th which for last year was about the entire stint of my vacation! The conditions in the keys were to say the least, undiveable for unseasoned, vacationers up and down the upper keys. Currents were strong, seas were three to five inside the reef and all I know is Myself and dive partner could not find anyone going out except on the west side of the keys in some of the quieter water! I was at my dive boat @ 7:30am, 12th, 13th,14th. I gave up Sunday night and headed back for Sarasota! Of course Monday was Quite and according to Sonny at Ocean quest they were all going out, Finally!! I know conditions down there that weekend weren't right for beginning level divers when the rest of the surrounding dive boats weren't going out!! I was also at Pennecamp in Sept. with my new daughter in law, that I just got certified. We wen't down on wed. and stayed through sun. Due to 4ft.' plus seas I did not let her go diving on her first open salt water boat dive until it calmed down! On that trip it was Sunday, last day!!!! Guys, I have never used caution like I do in my diving in any other venue of my life, except to my son, my marine in Iraq> My dive buddy!! I don't know what happened on the boat, I can only imagine how everyone must be feeling!! I can't understand why they were out there?? It was not the time in my opinion for a new diver to be in the water under anyone's supervision!! We had a simular experience this summer not to far from Venice when a Diver that was not certified wen't out with her husband who was quite experienced and died!!!!! I moved to Florida 3 yrs. ago and these are only MY OPINIONS, I came here for the diving and I will not willingly leave but one thing this State has taught me is alot of RESPECT!! I grew up in Calif. and believe me I thought I saw it all there, i was wrong. Once again my condolances go out to the family and friends of this fellow diver and to Horizon, I'm just so sorry this happened for everyone!!!!!:

Both of the links seem dead. One thing to watch out for is the mods do not want names mentioned even if they were in the newspaper article. It is against the TOS, even if public information. I am sorry for the family's loss.

gypsydiver19:
Hi, I can't began to express my heart felt sympathy to the family of the Motters, I'm sure I can speak for all of us here on this forum. I was in Tavineir at Coconut cove resort waiting to due some last minute lobster diving with Sonny and his folks at Ocean Quest Divers!!! I have always been a thrill seeker, that is until I started diving. I am certified through SSI. Stress and Rescue. I wanted to dive so bad on the 12,13,and 14th which for last year was about the entire stint of my vacation! The conditions in the keys were to say the least, undiveable for unseasoned, vacationers up and down the upper keys. Currents were strong, seas were three to five inside the reef and all I know is Myself and dive partner could not find anyone going out except on the west side of the keys in some of the quieter water! I was at my dive boat @ 7:30am, 12th, 13th,14th. I gave up Sunday night and headed back for Sarasota! Of course Monday was Quite and according to Sonny at Ocean quest they were all going out, Finally!! I know conditions down there that weekend weren't right for beginning level divers when the rest of the surrounding dive boats weren't going out!! I was also at Pennecamp in Sept. with my new daughter in law, that I just got certified. We wen't down on wed. and stayed through sun. Due to 4ft.' plus seas I did not let her go diving on her first open salt water boat dive until it calmed down! On that trip it was Sunday, last day!!!! Guys, I have never used caution like I do in my diving in any other venue of my life, except to my son, my marine in Iraq> My dive buddy!! I don't know what happened on the boat, I can only imagine how everyone must be feeling!! I can't understand why they were out there?? It was not the time in my opinion for a new diver to be in the water under anyone's supervision!! We had a simular experience this summer not to far from Venice when a Diver that was not certified wen't out with her husband who was quite experienced and died!!!!! I moved to Florida 3 yrs. ago and these are only MY OPINIONS, I came here for the diving and I will not willingly leave but one thing this State has taught me is alot of RESPECT!! I grew up in Calif. and believe me I thought I saw it all there, i was wrong. Once again my condolances go out to the family and friends of this fellow diver and to Horizon, I'm just so sorry this happened for everyone!!!!!:

My eyes fatigue with posts like this....splitting this into paragraphs by using the <ENTER> key would increase readibility!

Good information and thoughts!

tonka97:
My eyes fatigue with posts like this....splitting this into paragraphs by using the <ENTER> key would increase readibility!

Good information and thoughts!

I agree! Punctuation and grammar exist for a reason.

I feel very sad for the surviving family member. You have my condolences. It is a double tragedy when a family is left with guilt...

I agree we should not discuss this case for the sake of the family.

Maniac Instructor:
I really appreciate all the thoughts and prayers from you guys/girls. I am a dive professional and the husband of the diver in the accident and was holding her in my arms on the surface while the accident occurred. Our depth was shallow (35' max) and the dive went well. The accident happened on the surface when she got very anxious due to the wave height even though I never let go of her. She blacked out on the surface and I administered rescue breaths until I could got assistance from the boat charters because we drifted away from the boat.

Myself and my family are in deep mourning since my loving wife and friend passed away in the Key Largo hospital on Wednesday.

Please keep in mind that I think we should focus on my wife and family and the generaous organ doning my wife did to save other lives in the world. Feel free to post to me if you have any sympathetic comments or questions.
I just wated to say how sorry we all are for your loss. My deepest sympathies go to you and your family

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom