Dive Mishap Key Largo 1/13/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rarely post on scuba board, but do enjoy listening to the speculation and bickering. I myself am a dive professional from the Key Largo area. I was personally involved with two failed rescues. Sometimes you can do everything right and still the inevitable happens. What I can say is that it would be helpful if there was somewhere to go to get facts. Second-guessing and finger pointing seems to be the theme of the accidents and incidents threads. In my experience, many times we will discourage divers from going out in heavy seas, but they have the "I'm on vacation" attitude. When your dive shop says the conditions are not good STAY ON SHORE if you are not an experienced diver prepared to take the greatest risk of all. We dive professionals will do everything in our power to save one of you in the dive community at large, but all we can do is try. 6-8 foot seas might be impossible for some and not a good idea for many. However, I have dove comfortably in 10-14', always knowing that the risk I was taking was my own. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to vent. My codolences to friends and family of this diver, and all divers who have been lost.

My two cents are as follows, If the instructor was trying to cover his errors that could get him in trouble he would have more likely than not have disassemble the gear on the long ride in or ditched it all together, rinsing it makes it seem like he was more than likely reacting badly to an event that was going to change the life of at least 3 ppl forever.

From what I've read, the instructor who rinsed the gear wasn't even on the boat with the victim. Probably just wanted to get a look at the diver's profile, but didn't exactly go about it the way most of us would have.

I was told in a private e-mail that ---- had her own gear. I just feel that each dive we choose to go on is our own responsibility. I also feel that as diver's we need to know our own limit's, then understand that there is always that chance of a freak accident. I have a feeling that as with most things that are fun and exciting this will never happen!!
I guess all we can do is try to be as safe as possible and when fate steps in to take over we need to be there to help if possible! If not then I assume some things unfortunately are just meant to be!
I don't like helplessness any more than anyone else does!!! I realize that sometimes bad things happen to really great people and that's just the way it is.
Once again, Maniac Diver if you are out here I just wan't to express how sorry we all are for your loss.The same goes to the folk's at ------- dive shop.

I've been tempted many times reading this thread to make comments only to read on further and find out that I'm glad I kept my mouth shut. I keep reminding myself that I don't even know what I don't even know.

So, maybe someday this lovely ladies' (instructor) husband or someone else who was there will post some facts about this terrible accident that we can learn from and may help save one of our butts one day. So sorry for all involved.

So, maybe someday this lovely ladies' (instructor) husband or someone else who was there will post some facts about this terrible accident that we can learn from and may help save one of our butts one day. So sorry for all involved.

Check post 99.

Maniac Instructor:
I really appreciate all the thoughts and prayers from you guys/girls. I am a dive professional and the husband of the diver in the accident and was holding her in my arms on the surface while the accident occurred. Our depth was shallow (35' max) and the dive went well. The accident happened on the surface when she got very anxious due to the wave height even though I never let go of her. She blacked out on the surface and I administered rescue breaths until I could got assistance from the boat charters because we drifted away from the boat.

Myself and my family are in deep mourning since my loving wife and friend passed away in the Key Largo hospital on Wednesday.

Please keep in mind that I think we should focus on my wife and family and the generaous organ doning my wife did to save other lives in the world. Feel free to post to me if you have any sympathetic comments or questions.
here is post 99....

Really sorry to hear about your loss. I would like some information regarding the accident?? I really wish that all posts not specifically related to an accident could be deleted or removed. I mean really 12 pages of nothing to get to nothing....

If there is no information and this is a condolences post then fine please make a place where all can say their farewells to fellow divers and offer condolences to those they left behind.

Online lawyers go away, speculation about the cause requires at least one fact of which in 12 pages of posts we have something approaching a bad soap opera. I dont care about whats legal where or who could have done what or why somebody rinsed some gear off. I care about how this persons tradgedy can keep me or somebody I know from having a similar tradgedy. I thought that was the purpose of "discussing" accidents? If the diver died of an ailment unrelated to diving then say so and lets close this down. If not please let us know what it was so we can be aware of its possible future impact to those that we dive with.

Maniac INstructor,
Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family and your loving wife's family!!
May God grant her peace!

Back
Top Bottom