Dive Op recommendations for the Cozumel Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really, absolutely have to dive the wreck......

1. Plan on taking a cab down to the caleta and a cab back to the iberostar. Probably $20 each way.

2. Contact a few dive ops and see what they suggest. All the shops will dive the wreck under the right circumstances. I dive with Deep Blue, and they offer a twilight wreck/night dive combo. Most of the diving here is "Hey, where should we go today?..." once you get on the boat. If you contact a few shops, you might be able to get something arranged. Just remember, the shops need advance notice to book dives, and especially to cancel dives. So, you don't want to line up three shops, and when one can get you there, forget about the other shops working to get you to the wreck.

Before you start contacting the smaller shops, you might want to contact Dive Paradise. They're a large shop, and might do the wreck on a schedule. Also, Del Mar Aquatics. I know they have a scheduled 3rd tank to Paradise in the afternoons. They may also have a "wreck day". There are 2 to 5 dive groups there almost every time I'm there, and I've heard people talking about their wreck dives.

At Deep Blue, there are times when others want to do the wreck, and the shop will let me know and ask if I'd like to do the wreck too. Usually it's because there are only 2 divers that want to do the wreck, and they're looking for a couple more divers so they have enough people to do the trip. I've also been on the boat when people said they wanted to go to the wreck, and we just went.

I haven't much to compare it to. I've done some of the Bimini wrecks like the Sapona, and a plane in Jamaica. Wrecks don't thrill me much, and frankly I'd rather dive a wreck that wrecked, as opposed to one that was purposely sunk. Someone above mentioned it might be a good "starter wreck". I think I agree, though I'd rather be on a reef or a wall.

-Blair

I agree with Pelagicsal on the tetanus shot. And I wish I had taken gloves.

But I like the dive. On my second dive there I was comfortable exploring inside.

My reg got stuck on something in a hallway and I gently moved back to release myself.

If memory serves, the was a massive Grouper hanging around the bow.

I think I read somewhere that Scubaclub goes there on afternoon dives.

im personally am looking forward to this wreak dive as it will be my first wreak.
I heard its nothing spectacular but something i want to do.

Im just hope there are enough on the boat that want to do it one of the 5 days im there.

im diving with - The Dive House.

I'm ClarkKents other half =)

Being from Vancouver, Canada the only real wrecks we have are dark, deep and cold. We'd really like to see a wreck in tropical waters that we can really explore.
We are spending 10 days diving in Cozumel (have dove here previously as well) so taking an afternoon to check out something different(ie not the reefs) isn't a big deal for us.
We figured finding a dive op to pick us up would be a long shot but worth looking into.

Has anyone dove the wreck or any other site with ScubaClub? They're our top pick so far.

---------- Post Merged at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Looks like ScubaClub only requires 4 divers for the wreck not 6 :)

I'm ClarkKents other half =)

Being from Vancouver, Canada the only real wrecks we have are dark, deep and cold. We'd really like to see a wreck in tropical waters that we can really explore.
We are spending 10 days diving in Cozumel (have dove here previously as well) so taking an afternoon to check out something different(ie not the reefs) isn't a big deal for us.
We figured finding a dive op to pick us up would be a long shot but worth looking into.

Has anyone dove the wreck or any other site with ScubaClub? They're our top pick so far.

---------- Post Merged at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Looks like ScubaClub only requires 4 divers for the wreck not 6 :)

Scuba Club is an all inclusive and I don't believe you can dive with them if not staying there - I could be wrong. Even so, do not count on any guarantees that there will be others interested in doing the wreck the same day/week you are there - especially if you are not diving with that shop for other dives and only looking for them to take you somewhere your other shop won't take you. If you are patient and flexible, you will have the best luck.

Key Largo FL has the Grove, Duane and Bibb, then Tavernier just down the road less than 10 miles has the Eagle - all fun wrecks in warm water. You could book a circle route ticket, fly into Miami, drive down for those...?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 149
If you want to see wrecks, come to Michigan and dive the Straits of Mackinac. That's wreck diving. In Coz, I always resent having to give up a reef dive when somebody wants to see the wreck. It's just not that interesting. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way and make special arrangements to dive it. There's much better stuff to see on the reefs.

Check with Aldora Divers, they have a website...they have small groups (6 or less) and will cater to your request...I have been using them for 5 years and have not been disappointed yet... Jim

Back
Top Bottom