Dive operator for UW Photographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,
this November my wife and I are going to COZ for the first time. We are staying at El Cantil next to the Palace. I am an experienced UW photographer and will be bringing my SLR.... My favorite is macro photography. This year we did Roatan, Turks and Caicos and Belize and I wasn't thrilled with the DM's (excepting Belize was ok). I didn't like the restricted dive times, sometimes 45 minutes and having to come up with 1600 lbs at times and DM's that couldn't find or want to find any small critters.

I am looking for an experienced DM that will let us stay down until we run low on air, knows where the critters are, goes slow so we can stop and photograph and has takes out small experienced groups. I know that's a lot to ask. I guess I am spoiled from my trips to the Philippines.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Ken

If this is small enough for you:

Frog1.jpg

then I'd suggest Living Underwater. Besides the slowest DM I've ever had the pleasure to follow, Jeremy also has a fast comfortable boat with a liveaboard-sized camera tank. He offers steel 120s for extra long dives. That's his finger pointing out the tiny frogfish he somehow spotted from afar.

Macro is a big challenge in Coz with all the drift diving. That being said, I have had success in the past with Jose from Blue Angel. On this last trip I gave Liquid Blue Divers a whirl and we did some fantastic macro-friendly dives. Liquid Blue also does steel 100's and 120's for max bottom time. Here are a few shot's from the Liquid Blue trips....

I will second Mossman's recommendation for Living Underwater. My photographic skills are not as good as many others on the board, but nonetheless, I keep trying. And Jeremy goes very slowly, pointing out the smallest of critters. It suits me. I will find another thread where I reviewed him, compared with another steel tank op and my dive times and give the link in case you want to read it.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2014 at 10:13 PM ----------

Here it is: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...parison-between-living-underwater-aldora.html

Post #14 has dive times.

I'm essentially a lurker on this board. Jeremy would drive me stark raving mad. I would spend the time plotting his demise.

He's who you need to dive with. I can't imagine that any other DM/op would come as close to meeting all of your needs. (Note to Jeremy's fans: I thoroughly enjoy your photos).

Note to Mossman: Please do not forget to mention Jeremy's care of your disgusting piss filled wet suit.:)

Note to Sideways: Wow.

I find doing WA on the drift dives and macro on the shore dives is a great combo. As folks photos show you can do macro anywhere with great results. That said, I find keeping my head on a swivel on the drifts allows me to capture the faster moving big stuff and reefscapes. If there is something smaller I just do a CFWA shot.

Regardless, you will find lots to capture. Have fun!

Thank you for the link to that tread, excellent review and discussion

I will second Mossman's recommendation for Living Underwater. My photographic skills are not as good as many others on the board, but nonetheless, I keep trying. And Jeremy goes very slowly, pointing out the smallest of critters. It suits me. I will find another thread where I reviewed him, compared with another steel tank op and my dive times and give the link in case you want to read it.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2014 at 10:13 PM ----------

Here it is: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...parison-between-living-underwater-aldora.html

Post #14 has dive times.

---------- Post added October 4th, 2014 at 10:56 AM ----------

Up until my last trip I had used the Olympus 60mm macro (2x with 4/3rds so it acts like a 120mm ff) or the Panasonic 8mm fisheye. Both very specific for their application. The FE is an excellent landscape lens but sometimes difficult to get as close you need to capture larger moving subjects. Try chasing a turtle or getting right in a reef shark's face with it. On my last trip I started to use my 12-50 kit lens. In a flat port at the wide end underwater this will act like a 32mm, not especially wide but very usable. The lens will also lock down at 43mm ( 86mm equiv) into macro mode focusing at 20 cm and even less with a diopter or two. I found this is a great all purpose lens to use on a dive when you don't have a specific objective.

I find doing WA on the drift dives and macro on the shore dives is a great combo. As folks photos show you can do macro anywhere with great results. That said, I find keeping my head on a swivel on the drifts allows me to capture the faster moving big stuff and reefscapes. If there is something smaller I just do a CFWA shot.

Regardless, you will find lots to capture. Have fun!

Hi All,
this November my wife and I are going to COZ for the first time. We are staying at El Cantil next to the Palace. I am an experienced UW photographer and will be bringing my SLR.... My favorite is macro photography. This year we did Roatan, Turks and Caicos and Belize and I wasn't thrilled with the DM's (excepting Belize was ok). I didn't like the restricted dive times, sometimes 45 minutes and having to come up with 1600 lbs at times and DM's that couldn't find or want to find any small critters.

I am looking for an experienced DM that will let us stay down until we run low on air, knows where the critters are, goes slow so we can stop and photograph and has takes out small experienced groups. I know that's a lot to ask. I guess I am spoiled from my trips to the Philippines.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Ken

Raul Plates at Bottom Time Divers, not just good at finding small stuff, but an excellent, very safety minded DM & a great guy to boot. He's a one boat operation, so you will be guaranteed to dive with him every day.

Seconded for Raul with Bottom Time Divers. He finds all kinds of small things and he generally has his magnifying glass with him. All of the macro shots in my gallery here on SB for Cozumel were taken while diving with him (Most with the Olympus 12-50 mm in macro and my trip in November will allow me to try the 60 mm macro lens). Raul loves to dive. He is a great spotter.

Jeremy w/ Living Underwater is good at finding many things not just macro and does have 120 cu ft tanks. I have dived with him before. Raul can get AL 100 cu ft tanks. You will be diving your computer and tank.

Raul's boat is a six pack and you will have small groups but there is no guarantee that all divers will be experienced (or photographers). No dive op can. Just make sure he knows you are going to linger at times. The current can separate the group so be aware of where they are. If you let him know what you might be looking for, he can suggest sites and keep an eye out.

btw - Jeremy and Raul are friends and have qite bit in common.

I sent emails to Raul and Jeremy. So far Raul was the only one to write back. Sounds like either one will be good for us. Colodale when in November will you be there? The 60 mm macro is a great lens add a flip diopter for supermacro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom