Dive operator recommendations in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfc111601

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask anyones recommendation on a dive operator in Cozumel. My wife and I are staying at the Brisas hotel for a week in May but I don't want to dive with Dive Paradise. I would prefer someone in close proximity to the hotel that runs small groups and would be patient with my wife. Maybe Papahogs. Aldora would be my first choice but my wife is newly certified and Aldora's prices have gotten real steep($87/2Tdive). Any info. would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

I was going to dive with papa hogs, they have a good reputation but a diver in my hotel in Coz from Grand Rapids Mi talked me into diving with him and he said he has been diving with Sea Urchin for the last 8 years. He said he won't dive with anyone else. best advice I took while I was there. Talk about personal service. the most we ever had on the boat were 4 divers. And for half of the week Isidrio took just my buddy and I out. We had the dive master to ourselves. We were allowed to dive our computers and if someone was going to hoover a tank we didn't all have to come up. 2 tanks dives were $60 or if you did 3 or more days the price dropped to $55. Check Sea Urchin out on the web:)

I'd still go with Aldora but that's just my two cents. :)

We just came back from Coz. and dove with Papa Hogs in the morning and Dressel in the afternoon/night.
Papa Hogs is by far the better operator.
Fast boats with only 6 divers per boat, often less. We paid $50. /2 tank dive. The service was great - they picked us up at our hotel pier, set up your gear if you want. The DM asks where you want to go, what you want to see and then off you go.
Not only did we have safe, personal dives - we also got an education on where to find certain marine animals (a big + for me).
This is my second time diving with Papa and I'm looking forward to a third.
Dressel had some decent DM's also but their boat is too big, slow and the dives are really restrictive. Oh yes - they are really expensive.
I wish I could go back to Coz. tomorrow!! If I had a female dive buddy to share with I would!!!
Barb

:bounce:

My family and I have used Scuba Gamma for the past 2 years and wont change anytime soon. Jason, the owner, is a young California native. Very layed back and patient. Each time we go we have our own boat, captain, and DM...thats for 2 divers. He has always given us a great deal. Last June we dove 12 dives before I finally had to corner him to pay him. He will bend over backwards to ensure your satifaction. E-mail him at dive@scubagamma.com or call him at 52-987-872-0011 if you want to get a quote. He is on island time so his e-mail response can take a while.

Good Luck and Have Fun.

www.scubagamma.com

Has anyone heard of "The Dive House"? I went to their website, but it was "Under Construction".

Diveaustin

In my opinion...............you should stay with your first thought. Aldora has gone up in price but if you dove with them in the past you know the bottom times are much better than anyone else using 80cu tanks. If you will ask for Bill "Memo" LaRosa well in advance as your DM he will take very good care of your wife. He will pay as close attention to you as you need. He and the other DM have done a good job with new divers in my mind. Dove with them for 8 days last Sept and will again for 8 more days in May and won't use anyone else.

:sharky:

5615mike once bubbled...
Diveaustin

If you will ask for Bill "Memo" LaRosa well in advance as your DM he will take very good care of your wife.

:sharky:

I second that recommendation. Bill was the best dive master I have ever had the pleasure of diving with. We ask for him by name every time.

went with "eagle ray divers" which is a husband/wife op. chellie and/or antonio will take great care of you. they might not have the fastest boats, but they are very nice and the dm's are great. dove 4 times with them and every time was great...

they specialize in taking care of the hesitant less experience divers...we took the family and got 3 of them ceritified while we were there...

We are staying at Las Brisas for a week starting on the 23rd.

My wife does not dive, and so I will be looking to be buddied up by the dive shop. I understand the small boats and the thing about being able to dive your computer, but get the feeling, that most dive ops, don't want to mess with one person. Especially if I want to be picked up at the dock.

I get 20% off the dives with Dive Paradise too, and they offer the cheap afternoon dives as well. So if I want to be cheap, I can dive three times in a day and take days off completely.

Anyways, I don't really like the idea, of hugh boats where everyone is just a body, but don't want to feel like I'm more of a pain, then a customer either. Am I "all wet", or what?

Back
Top Bottom