Dive Operators in Papua, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I'll be traveling by myself and some operators are keen on charging outrageous rates for single occupancy. ... I've never done a liveaboard before but I'm not sure they're for me especially given the cost (some are quoting 5000 AUD for a week) and also because I've done a couple of day trips on large boats and wasn't very impressed..
...Does anyone have any thoughts on the best length of stay and whether it's worth kicking around Sorong for a couple of days?

IF you were interested in a liveaboard and seeing wrecks and whalesharks, I have a 12 day trip in Papua staring Jan 20 that is heavily discounted. Possibly will be less expensive for the number of dives than the resort. At the moment only 8 people on the trip. And ship is moderate level - with AC cabins, ensuite bath - not backpacker style.

I have not listed this trip at its discounted price anywhere yet. If you want more info, email me at cityseahorsetours@gmail.com

Skip Sorong - dirty, not interesting for a tourist. OK for an overnight in transit, but otherwise your time is better spent elsewhere. I've stayed there for weeks.. 3 - 10 days at a time.

Papua has arguably the best diving in Indonesia and for reefs, the world. Worth spending more time there and less elsewhere.

For anyone who stayed at Raja Ampat Dive Resort:
Did you have to prepay for your stay and diving? I contacted them and payment was through a Pay Pal account, which I think is like handing over cash! I am a bit nervous about that. Did you stay at the hotel in Wasai or the bungalows? Agus told me they go out once and do three dives instead of multiple trips each day. is that not correct?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any accommodations that are cheaper than Kri and still offer reliable diving options?

Did you have to prepay for your stay and diving? I contacted them and payment was through a Pay Pal account, which I think is like handing over cash! I am a bit nervous about that.

I've paid Indo dive trips via credit card, wire transfer, and Paypal. Personally, I have more confidence in Paypal than a wire transfer, and with Paypal you can rack up some credit card miles. Sometimes the emails are slow, and the confirmation of receipt of funds is slow, but there has never been an issue of money going astray. It's up to you to see that you're dealing with a reliable agent/operator before you pay, however you pay. Just don't expect the transaction to go bang-bang-bang and be done ... it doesn't always work that way over there.

ABC I'm really sure they'd go to the same sites either way. They'll give you a list of sites further away (i.e. The Passage, Melissa's Garden) that any guest can opt for for an additional charge subject to a minimum amount going. When I stayed there didn't happen to be any more than 6 people there through most of my stay, so we just talked amongst ourselves and agreed on some of the further away sites that we were all interested in. There are a lot of sites very close to Kri (within the limit you mention) and don't worry they are healthy..you'll see when you go...it's a remote area. And you'll be happy diving the house reef multiple times. Regarding the 40 dives in 10 days, sure you could...except I think they still don't dive on Saturday's (or maybe Sundays?) as the owner is a 7th Day Aventist and the staff doesn't work. For that day they take you on an excursion to see the red bird of paradise. It's a great place/operation and you'll enjoy your stay there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom