dive operators in the Melbourne area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landstander

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be visiting my sister in Satellite Beach, FL the week after Xmas, and am hoping to squeeze in a couple of dives while I'm in the area. This will actually be the first diving opportunity (pool excluded) since my PADI Open Water certification dives, and I won't be travelling with a buddy, so my thought is that a professionally orginized trip with a divemaster is probably the best option at this stage. Additionally, I'd prefer to do morning dives (if possible) in order to maximize the time available to spend with family.

Any recommendations for a good dive operator which might fit the bill? I should be able to drive for 1-1.5 hours (each way) if necessary, so they don't actually have to be located in Melbourne... anywhere reasonably close ought to be fine. I don't have any real preference as to the speciffic dive environment, as long as it's appropriate for a relatively inexperenced diver.

While I own most of my own gear, I will need to rent a wet suit, weights, and air tanks (if not provied by the operator). Suggestions for a good dive shop in the area which does rentals would also be greatly appreciated. My sister seems to like Hatts (she's planning to get certified next year), so I'll most likely be checking with them, but we don't really have any direct experience at present.

Thanx!

Head south to the west palm area. Way better diving, better visibility. Its worth the drive.

Several folks on Reddit have echoed your sentiment, and suggested driving to Jupiter (which looks like it's around 10 miles from West Palm Beach). So far I have recommendations for Capt SL8R Charters and Jupiter Dive Center, the former of which looks rather interesting... will most likely give them a call tomorrow, and see what's available.

Thanx!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Board.
PLEASE....
Hit the road.
Drive south to West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach/Delray, or even Boca/Pompano.
You are a new diver.
You need to be with experienced folks.
You will find accepting folks for you to buddy up with with a little legwork, phone calls, and inquiry here.

Chug
This space for rent.

Last edited:
Visited my mother in law a number of times in Sebastian (just south of Melbourne). After a number of inquiries I gave up on the area. Went down to Jupiter or if I had some time went to the Keys for a couple days. There are quided dives where you have a DM and group or a private DM. You may want to think about a private DM. With a group DM you really do not have an experienced buddy dedicated to you since they have to work with the whole group. A private DM dives directly with you. When traveling I will usually hire a private DM just so I can focus on enjoying the dive plus they know the area plus I do not like the follow the group kind of dive. Exception is the Keys where I just instsabuddy unless it is deep stuff.

Jupiter is your best bet distance and dive quality wise. I'll give a very strong +1 on Capt Sl8r. They will spoil you for other ops.
PM me when you are diving. I'm off after Dec 20th and will be diving a lot. Be happy to meet up with you.

Jupiter is your best bet distance and dive quality wise. I'll give a very strong +1 on Capt Sl8r. They will spoil you for other ops.
PM me when you are diving. I'm off after Dec 20th and will be diving a lot. Be happy to meet up with you.

Will do. Thanx!

---------- Post added December 1st, 2014 at 10:47 PM ----------

After a bit of discussion with Capt SL8R this evening, I went ahead and booked a trip with them. Judging from afar, it certainly appears to be a well run operation... I'm really looking forward to it!

My thanx to everyone for your input! :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom