Dive operators on ambergris caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCOLE

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going to be in Belize, staying on ambergris caye June 11-18. Anyone have any recomedations on dive operators to use or maybe which ones not to use and why?

No bad operators here. Different styles, maybe. If you're inexperienced divers looking for everything except possibly some thinking to be done for you, then the recommendations might be different from those for experienced self-sufficient divers. If you want the cheapest possible diving, again that might suggest different operators from those who charge more for a "luxury" service. The location of your hotel can also be a factor. More information please.

We just got back and I'll be posting a detailed review asap..

but here are my quick suggestions:

Ramons Diving - Unprofessional, unorganized and the only person that was friendly was Rick the manager. Dive Masters rarely gave any information about the dive and it took alot of questioning to get the name of the dive sites we visited. After a day of asking they finally agreed to go to the dive spots we actually wanted to go to.

Belize Diving Adventures - Small operation, VERY Personal, Ines was the DM we worked with and she was above and beyond the most professional, helpful, and friendly Dive Master we have ever dove with. We ran into her multiple times throughout the week and she was always happy to talk and answer questions about the island/places to eat/dive spots/etc.. I plan on suggesting their operation to everyone that asks.

Amigos Del Mar - We did the Blue Hole trip with them, large group but they spilt it up between all of the dive masters. The DMs were professional, friendly and willing to help/work with anyone that had any issues. Alex, Mike (with the off centered tattoo on his back), and George were our favorites all of them were very friendly and very good dive masters.

I'll try to get our detailed review up tonight.

We will be staying at coco beach. I'm not looking for the cheapest operation, what we want is friendly, convenient and SAFE operation. Hopefully one that will pick up and drop off at the resorts pier.

We have not been to belize before, so all the dive sites will be new to us.

If you're inexperienced divers looking for everything except possibly some thinking to be done for you...

Dang it, Peter, you just made me spew my coffee all over my laptop! :rofl3:

Next time, give me some warning.

All dive ops will pick you up from your hotel and as far as which one is the best there are several that are good and you cant go wrong

Ecologic I have sent several divers with them and only good reviews

Chuck and Robbies always get good reviews

Amigos Del Mar good reviews BIG operation

Belize Diving Adventures Mixed reviews

Aqua Dives not my most favorite and would not reccomend them to anyone

Island Divers small operation good reviews

Ambergris Divers not much about them I know the owner but they never seem to answer emails and theres not much reviews about them although I know he does a good job

Belize Dive Connection new to the island not to Belize considered good operation with nice boats

hope this helps

Gaz Cooper

I did some dives with Belize Dive Connection over the winter and was very happy with them. They briefly interviewed all the divers to get an idea of skill levels, they broke the group into smaller groups according to skill levels. We had 20 divers on the boat and 3 divemasters. Each group had a divemaster. The boats were clean, they even cleaned the boats while we were diving. They gave a briefing on the dive site including the name of the site, typical conditions, marine life we may see, etc. I would like to do some more diving with them over the next winter. The "resort" was cozy, and fitting of the location.

Ever heard of AquaDives?

No, they're not a bad dive center nowadays. In the past things were certainly different. I stick to what I said, and in fact with that one exception I agree with Gaz's assessment. The status of Belize Dive Connection is currently uncertain, as the dock they were due to occupy from tomorrow night is still very firmly occupied by AquaDives. Watch this space.

That said, Coco Beach is several miles north and the dive center that makes most sense is White Sands, run by Elbert Greer. It's located at Las Terrazzas, next to the old Journey's End (which is closed). Small operation, professionally run, busy for its size, well regarded. If I were staying up there there is no doubt that these are the people I would dive with.

Yes but every dive shop picks up at Coco Beach and white Sands would have to do the same so I really see no benefit of choosing that shop over any of the others.

If you were to ask me to choose one I would have to say Ecologic based on my guests experiences with them I have several other divers heading there way in the near future.

With regards to Aqua Dives it does not surprise me at all about the situation that they would not leave the location when they have been given 3 months notice it absolutely shows the attitude of this dive shop owner.

I have nothing good to say about Aqua Dives and I actually dont have to bash them as any search on there services to guests will provide enough bashing for everyone.

If Peter thinks they have cleaned up there act he is in a very small minority

Gaz Cooper

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom