Dive Ops Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, everyone for your great posts. Looks like I'm in for some wonderful diving.

I think I'll just start with diving the Palancar sites and Santa Rosa wall with one of the many Ops you have suggested.

I'll be there for a month so I'll have lots of time to consider the advanced dives. Thanks again for taking the time to make these suggestions.

It's appreciated.

Gary

Hello, I will be in Playa for the month of February(stop crying), and I need recomendations. I'm experienced but haven't doven since last year in Belize(Glovers reef). Hopefully, the boats will be limited to 6 or 8. But an operation that could give me the opportunity to get out to the more advanced dives after shaking the rust out would be great.

Any come to mind?

Gary

?doven/dived. I'm partial to Aldora Divers, look them up. Many boats, large tanks and extended dives, great DMs.

Good diving, Craig

Hello,
I took a group of 28 divers to Cozumel in September of this past year. We had a awesome time, and our dive operation was excellent, and with a group my size..they bent over backwards to help us in anyway they could. Nice boats, very nice staff and the owner is hands on and very friendly. The operation is Dive House on Cozumel, we stayed at Casa Del Mar, and they picked us up right at the dock each morning. They are hosted out of FiestaAmericana I believe. Good luck the diving was beautiful.

Many good shops but you must beware when diving in Coz. There are also many corporate shops that operate on a ridgid schedule and give you a very "fast food" type of experience. I had a frustrating few days of routinely coming up with 1200-1500 lbs in my tank because first dives were maxed at 35 min (sometimes shorter because of people getting low before then) and a depth of 80ft and 2nd dives 45 min 60ft max. I guess with the dynamic of many cruise shippers and high number of divers coming and going it seemed there were always people on the boat doing a first dive with the shop which didn't help. I used a referal, friend of friend, and it cost me! I tried another shop because it was close to my hotel and again we were on the clock. Do your homework and you will enjoy. Also, I did a couple of dives in Playa and was lucky to be there in mid December and the Bull Sharks were awesome to see.

Many good shops but you must beware when diving in Coz. There are also many corporate shops that operate on a ridgid schedule and give you a very "fast food" type of experience. I had a frustrating few days of routinely coming up with 1200-1500 lbs in my tank because first dives were maxed at 35 min (sometimes shorter because of people getting low before then) and a depth of 80ft and 2nd dives 45 min 60ft max.

Yikes. Steve, for the record, can you say who you dived with? We get lots of cheerleading here and it would be useful for readers who actually use the search function to know/have the gamut of Coz experiences. And bummer about your experience. I go out with an op that uses steel tanks and lets us dive our air. Yes, we sometimes have a deco obligation to work off at some point in the dive. :D But seldom have I surfaced with more than 500#....which is still a lot of air in a bigger steel tank. And seldom are dives less than 1 hour. Many times they are approaching 80 or 90 minutes. Send me a PM if you'd like to follow up.

My cheerleading (aka TRIP UPDATE):

We just got back from Coz yesterday (Jan 2) after two weeks, and it far exceeded expectations. We are a family of three (son is 17) all with around 120 dives...first time in Mexico. We stayed at Villa Aldora (the hosts there are Kay and Greg and they do everything they can to meet any needs you have). We put in 25 dives (each) over the two weeks all with Aldora Divers (Memo, et al). Everything they offer is well outlined on their web sites (Villa Aldora).

The Villa Aldora hotel is 10-15 mins walk north of the main town. It's quiet, small (only about 12 suites), lovely and rooms come with kitchenettes, or not, whatever fits the budget. Easy to night dive or great snorkeling right out front. Only those diving with Aldora Divers stay at the Villa (not for party-types). The boat picks you up out front on the dock early each morning (7:30am) for two-tank dives ($89) or they also offer two tanks in the afternoon, the second dive is a twlight dive. They usually do a guaranteed night dive on Wed and Sat nights. Boats were all comfortable (large or small depending on conditions). If the waves and wind are up, they get you to the main dock in town to load on the boat, very quickly by taxi and they pay....5 mins.

It is a very safe area. The restaurants are great...town is busy when cruise ships in but otherwise pretty quiet. We rented a car for $35-40 one day and drove around the island visiting the ruins, parks and beaches. Great ceviche at Playa Bonita part way down the coast on the east side.

All the Aldora DMs were great (we had our favs too) and our experience was that Aldora really looked after all our needs. And the diving...well, it's top notch for sure, mostly drift diving. Drift diving was new to us and our son particularly loved it! They called him the 'yogi diver' cause he liked to cross his fins lotus-like and glide along with the current, head tucked down in meditation (or maybe he was catching a few zzzs with that early morning start!). The ocean is very healthy and basically we didn't have a bad dive. The boats usually head pretty far south for the first dives of the day and then do the surface interval at Mr. Sancho's outdoor restaurant for lunch (while this gets a bit routine after two weeks, you can also just sit on the beach if you don't want food/drink...beats bumping around for an hour in the waves.) The second dive is always closer to 'home' and in shallower reefs. They provide free dive computers and we needed them to watch the depth and NDL. We'd be back 'home' mid afternoon and wash up, take a rest and then go in for dinner most nights, or order in from some of the local restaurants. Be sure to check out some of the spots off the main drag...good food, great prices.

My best dives were Palancar Gardens and Devil's Throat although we did most of the popular ones and three night dives. We did a couple dives on the north side...bit more advanced, fast drifts...they were good too. We also dove with Aldora one day to the cenotes south of Playa Del Carmen, and Aldora looked after everything including hauling gear, ferry, lunch, transportation, etc. It was terrific and worth the cost ($149).

If you go, say hi to everyone for us and have a few meals at Kinka, Guidos and Kondesa.

Back
Top Bottom