Dive Op’s Limiting bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting discussion this.
On our island one of the operators (the one that takes the Cruise ship "contract divers") limits the dives to 45 minutes and usually runs a "one out all out" group diving. Second dive is usually very close to the dive shop.
This is a business decision, probably based upon getting in a second afternoon tour outside of the cruise ship contract. (NOT based upon getting guests back in time for ship departures).
We ourselves work on a maximum 60 minute bottom time (or NDL) for all dives and combine this with a minimum of 1 hour for surface interval.
We often get divers back to the boat in less than 60 mins, but the ones who can, do, and appreciate the fact that they get a longer dive time.
Some of our divers come from the very same cruise ships, they have booked with us direct.
Choose your operator with care and ask the right questions before booking.

The only recreational dive boat dive that I can think of where they limited it to 45 minutes is the Manta Ray Night Dive out of Kona, HI. They openly admit that they cut it short so they can get ready for the Pelagic, or Black Water dive.

Most of the DMs I've dove with basically just say how long they expect the dive to last, based upon their previous 300 dives at the same place. If a DM says the maximum is 60 minutes and the dive is 90 feet then you'd better know how to plan your dive :wink:

Other than keeping on schedule, there are other reasons that runtime may be limited. For drift dives in Florida, likely dives in other sites, it's easier to know that everyone will be up by a certain time and in a relatively certain place. Makes overdue divers easier to identify. That being said, I appreciate the flexibility to dive longer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom