Dive ops out of Port Douglas and Hobart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hertrich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I are doing a trip to Australia in November and are planning to dive out of Port Douglas and Hobart/Southern Tasmania.

I was hoping to get some input on some operations we are considering:

Port Douglas - Poseidon (Snorkelling Diving Great Barrier Reef Port Douglas Cairns Australia Poseidon Cruises PADI Diving)

Hobart area - Eaglehawk (Eaglehawk Dive Centre: The best diving in tasmania)

I'm open to other suggestions, but these caught my attention and I wanted to reach out to folks here and see what you may have to say.

Hertrich,

I dove with EagleHawk a couple of years ago, really enjoyed my dives. I haven't dived with Poseidon in probably over ten years, but remeber it was ok. the main difference is that Poseidon was a cattle boat, divers and Snorkelers and lots of them. EagleHawk, I don't think we every had more than 6 on the boat.

Poseidon is a great trip and in November its peak season and a beautiful time to be on the water. They visit the very south of the Ribbon Reef areas, so its some of the better "Outer Reef" spots. Smallish groups and a good selection of sites. Up to 3 dives and a good crew as well.

Thanks for the info Plug. Good to get local input :)

---------- Post added October 7th, 2013 at 08:49 AM ----------

Aquapro, would it be advisable to reserve ahead of time if it is peak season? We wanted to see the operations in person before making a decision, but is that pushing our luck? Thanks for your input!

Poseidon is a great trip and in November its peak season and a beautiful time to be on the water. They visit the very south of the Ribbon Reef areas, so its some of the better "Outer Reef" spots. Smallish groups and a good selection of sites. Up to 3 dives and a good crew as well.

They do book out pretty quickly, but if you are flexible with your days should be OK. What normally happens what you book you just pay a deposit and then the balance is payable upon check in. So you can change days etc for no charge.

I think you should be OK if you wanted to take a look, but check out their own site as it has some good pics and videos.

Eaglehawk are great and it is great diving. Have you done cold water diving before? I notice you are from NY, but unless you have dived around your town, it may be a bit beyond you down there considering the water temperature in November will be very cold and the number of dives you have done.

Hey Clownfish, we did our checkout dives for OW and Peak Performance at a local quarry that requires a 2 piece 7mm (14 mm on core), hood and gloves. The water temp was around 68-70 at 25ft. From what I have read that should be the type of experience necessary for Tasmania. Does that sound right to you?

Eaglehawk are great and it is great diving. Have you done cold water diving before? I notice you are from NY, but unless you have dived around your town, it may be a bit beyond you down there considering the water temperature in November will be very cold and the number of dives you have done.

I used Calypso on the reef and they were good - decent gear and good staff. I chose them over Poseidon as they were a little smaller and so I think that meant it was a little less crowded at our dive sites. I hear that all the operators in the area are of good quality, so I'm sure you'll have a good time with whoever you choose.

Hertrich, probably will help, but diving in a quarry is a hell of a lot easier than the open ocean. Have you done any ocean dives in cold water?

Michael (sorry, didn't see your name in your signature earlier), we (my girlfriend and I) have not done any ocean dives at this point. We were recently OW certified and are just starting to sink our teeth in to diving. The trip to Australia will be our first time in uncontrolled open water (quarries are definitely more controlled environments). The plan is to get in ~6 dives out of Port Douglas before we go down to Tasmania. The circumstances will be different clearly, so we are keeping it open to change diving plans for Tasmania (not diving at all is an option) based on how our experience is in Port Douglas.

Given our lack of experience both in the water and in the region, we are looking at hiring local dive guides so we don't end up in large groups with insufficient oversight/support from more experience divers. Any advice/suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Hertrich, probably will help, but diving in a quarry is a hell of a lot easier than the open ocean. Have you done any ocean dives in cold water?

---------- Post added October 9th, 2013 at 01:34 PM ----------

Thanks for the input Captain. Will look at Calypso as an option as well.

I used Calypso on the reef and they were good - decent gear and good staff. I chose them over Poseidon as they were a little smaller and so I think that meant it was a little less crowded at our dive sites. I hear that all the operators in the area are of good quality, so I'm sure you'll have a good time with whoever you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom