dive optics / stick on lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude,,, for $100 you can get a CUSTOM Lens/lenses that replace the ones in your mask... THIS IS THE WAY TO GO.. .TRUST ME..

Can't remember the name of the place off the top of my head (sent my mask in through the LDS)... viola... Perfect vision without using glue and ZERO distortion... not to mention peace of mind...

I will get the name and number if you want.. just send me a private message..

:D Good Luck

I have a friend who has the Dive Optic lenses. He says the secret to getting them to stay in place is to follow the directions EXACTLY and to let the dry for 3-4 days before using. Extended soaking in rinse buckets will break the contact.

I opted for lenses ground to my prescription from Sea Vision. They are not glued in...the mask lenses are ground. Although I have the Sea Vision mask, they also will grind lenses for several popular mask styles.

EarlJ -

I bought a mask with prescription lenses for near-sightedness. My Extended Health Insurance coverage paid for them because they are prescription. If you have a plan through work that provides vision care, check your plan to see if you can get them paid for. My plan covered "goggles", so I made sure the LDS put prescription "goggles" on the receipt so there would be no confusion. Health coverage - one of the few benefits left of living in the Great White North.

Also, the LDS sold over-the-counter prescription masks for every .5 diopter, as well as sending away to get custom made lenses in your exact prescription. I bought the over-the-counter version, and I see quite well even though they don't correct for my fair bit of astigmatism.

Even though this is an older thread, people are probably still having the same question Uncle Pug once asked about adhesive for stick on lenses. I just asked an optician friend of mine, and he said no way was there an adhesive, bad idea. (Too bad...) But he did say that when he uses this product to put together glasses for customers, he uses methyl hydrate instead of water. A few drops of methyl hydrate dries faster, and has less air bubbles than water. And his customers have had the lenses stuck on their glasse for years, even with washing and cleaning them.

I just bought some of the stick on lenses for my husband, at Walgreens for $19.95. As he lost his mask last weekend, we will try sticking the lenses on his new mask when he buys one! Also, our optometrist said that only one lens in the corner is sufficient. Because the mask is farther away from your eyes than glasses, you can't get binocular vision so you don't need two lenses. We'll see how this works. At least if it gets lost, there's always the other lens, as they come in pairs.

Does anyone else use only one bifocal lens instead of two?

I don't have a good vision: I have been wearing progressive lenses since I'm 25... Bad case of hyperopia that wasn't treated when I was younger. This translates to +2.75 for reading. Can't stay more than 3 minutes without my glasses. Can't get surgery. Would still have to wear glasses.

Anyway, when I started diving, I loved the fact that this wasn't a problem. The magnifying effect of the water was just doing it fine for me. I could read the gauges with no problem... until I bought a Suunto Stinger. The first time I used it, I found myself diving and couldn't read the digits.

I've been trying several types of progressive contacts. I've found one that works for me. I now dive with them and have discovered another world underwater! Plus, wearing contacts in general is much more pleasant than wearing glasses, but that's for another thread. The other benefit is that if your vision changes, you don't have to buy a new prescription mask.

Arnaud once bubbled...
I don't have a good vision: I have been wearing progressive lenses since I'm 25... .

I also have contacts and they work great for me... they can be a little bit of a problem when on a dive boat where there is a lot of sand and grit... I DO have to put them back on in the morning!

Shadow once bubbled...
Even though this is an older thread, people are probably still having the same question Uncle Pug once asked about adhesive for stick on lenses. I just asked an optician friend of mine, and he said no way was there an adhesive, bad idea. (Too bad...) But he did say that when he uses this product to put together glasses for customers, he uses methyl hydrate instead of water. A few drops of methyl hydrate dries faster, and has less air bubbles than water. And his customers have had the lenses stuck on their glasse for years, even with washing and cleaning them.

I just bought some of the stick on lenses for my husband, at Walgreens for $19.95. As he lost his mask last weekend, we will try sticking the lenses on his new mask when he buys one! Also, our optometrist said that only one lens in the corner is sufficient. Because the mask is farther away from your eyes than glasses, you can't get binocular vision so you don't need two lenses. We'll see how this works. At least if it gets lost, there's always the other lens, as they come in pairs.

Does anyone else use only one bifocal lens instead of two?

Yes, I use only one. Since my right eye is quite a bit more dominate then my left eye, I have put in a stick-on reading lens (from Bartells) on the right side of my goggles.

I did some trying out at home with both of them just placed on the goggles, but found out the same thing that you mentioned, because the goggle lens are so much further away then regular glasses, they didn't do much good.

It seemed to work out pretty good for me, and I haven't had any problem with it staying in place, even when putting on anti-fog on the goggles and also when rinsing and cleaning up after the dives.

I did find that I had to tilt my head back a little bit far when doing my navigation, but found it wasn't all that uncomfortable.

Hope this helps.

in my mask for years, no problems with it coming off. Just followed the directions (soak in hot water, etc.) and let it dry completely.

I only use a magnifier for my right eye, the left eye is a dud and doesnt' work all that well (factory defect). That leaves me with a spare, but so far I've never had to use it.

I found a smaller version of the stick-on magnifiers (for reading glasses) at REI stores. They're pretty tiny tho...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom