Dive plan workbook examples

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bilova100m

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a related question: is there a workbook with sample problems to practice advanced dive planning (sport or deco). I have found some questions addressing one or other aspect of dive planning (optimal gas calculations, MOD, SAC, EAD, etc., etc.) but not hypothetical scenarios where various of those calculations are integrated.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The zombie thread resurrection was split off here. We left the zombie comments just for fun.

I have a related question: is there a workbook with sample problems to practice advanced dive planning (sport or deco). I have found some questions addressing one or other aspect of dive planning (optimal gas calculations, MOD, SAC, EAD, etc., etc.) but not hypothetical scenarios where various of those calculations are integrated.
Pleas don’t bump an old thread for a new but vaguely related question.

That creates confusion 😊, it is better to create a new thread unless you want to continue the previous conversation.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Roll with it, folks. It was his first post.
He can't start his own thread yet without some minimum number of posts.
EDIT: Except for Classifieds, anyone can start a new thread as soon as they are a member.

Anyone want to refer him in the right direction?

I don’t know of a free workbook for this.

But I would start by posting your current diver grade and what class/kind of diving you want to do?

You can plan using something Baltic Deco or Multideco, but that assumes you can read the output and know Buhlman with Gradient Factors or one of the algos supported by the deco planner.

Download Subsurface at
It's free, and has great graphics output

You can play with all sorts of scenarios that let you learn on the desktop about gas planning.

The interface is a little obscure, but start a thread in the Advanced Forum to ask questions.

Search old ScubaBoard threads. It's an effort wading through some threads, but the rewards are huge, as some very experienced divers contribute.

The PADI Tec 40, 50 & 60 class textbooks have what you're after in terms of workbook exercises, but I think the value is low. They're tables and charts based, and don't reflect current dive planning practice. PADI isn't the strongest of the organizations for technical dive instruction, IMO.

And don't forget to search "Rock Bottom" as part of your dive planning curriculum.

This doesn't make sense to me.

My AN/DP class was using software. I haven't even seen tables for deco dives. You need to know how much nitrogen your tissues have to calculate stops etc.

If I'm wrong and these tables are out please correct me as it could be fun to use them.

This doesn't make sense to me.

My AN/DP class was using software. I haven't even seen tables for deco dives. You need to know how much nitrogen your tissues have to calculate stops etc.

If I'm wrong and these tables are out please correct me as it could be fun to use them.
AN/DP with TDI? I'm not sure how you couldn't have seen tables. . . They are required for the eLearning IIRC, and pdfs are provided of the USN tables in the student materials section. I know the TDI Nitrox (i.e. not advanced nitrox) uses tables extensively. I can't remember for certain regarding AN, but I'm pretty sure that you have to use them before you get to using multideco.

(click the second thumbnail on that page to see what they look like)

I was wrong, interesting.

My AN/DP was using multi deco to plan the dives. Hand calculations were used to calculate sac rates which I then verified with my computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom