Dive recommendations: Palau, Fiji, Yap or Vanuatu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I consider myself a fairly well traveled diver and must concur with Palau. One dive on Blue Corner and you will experience a total sensory overload. Seeing a large shark or Moray would normally be a huge highlight of a dive. I think I sprained my neck from trying to look in so many directions at once.

It is also very possible to dive Yap on the same trip. The continental flight stops in Yap on the way back to Guam (most nights, but not all, you have to check). Dive Palau then hit Yap on the way home!

I also agree that diving with Sam's Tours is unbeatable. Best dive op I have ever seen. They met me at the airport when I flew in even though I wasn't diving with them until the next day, they just wanted to confirm where I wanted to dive and the time!

Good luck on your choice, its a good problem to have!

Last edited:
Fiji has nice reefs and sharks, check tahiti island and rangiroa for lots of sharks. Yap also has sharks but has even more manta rays and is the place to go for mantas. Not sure about vanuatu, friends who have dived palau consistently say for overall great diving experience its the best that side of the world, megafauna and chance to see some macro as well, with good viz. But for pure megafauna head to galapagos, or cocos island in S.America! Cocos island i believe has the largest biomass in the world underwater!!

Hi,
although I love Vanuatu (I grew up on Efate but this was 30 years ago last century), I also went back for diving last year, I won't recommend for diving, except for the massive wreck Pres.Coolidge (which is a must dive btw).
On the other hand, I would say it's probably the most interesting archipelago of the south pacific culture wise, and for the incredible Yasur volcano too, which everyone should see in a lifetime.

If you want to see absolutely stunning corals, Fiji would get my vote. For the bigger fish New Caledonia would be my bet.

As I don't know Palau, neither Yap, I won't comment.

Luko, What is New Caledonia like to dive in mid to end of DEC? Are the rains and mosquitoes bad?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom