Dive Report (6 AUG): Crystal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selrahc

Contributor
Reaction score
Dive Report: Crystal River

Date: Aug 6, 2008
Type Dive: Shore, Solo.

About the Location: Hunters Spring Park is a nice public park with a swimming area, restrooms and a covered pavilion. There are benches and a volley ball area as well. Parking for perhaps 20 or so cars. Park hours Dawn to Dusk.

About the Conditions: The water was clear and cool. Vis was great! I’m no good with distance but id say 60Ft or more in the spring area, 25-30 in the channel. Hunters Spring was flowing cold as usual. Nice strong flow from the spring. We saw huge fish of all kinds in the water.

This is a great swimming area. I spent most of the day metal detecting the swimming area underwater and playing with the kids at the spring head, which is within the swimming area. Also did some kayaking in the local waters.

I read there are many charter dives out to the main springs. We saw then while kayaking the area. I was with many friends and non-divers so I just did a few dives from shore. Next time I'll take a boat to the action.

Recommendation: This is a great public park! The facilities are clean and were well kept. No trash anywhere. Park services stopped through quite a few times and I saw police patrols on more than one occasion. Safe park dawn to dusk. The pavilion provided shelter for the late afternoon rains and we had the place to ourselves after that :) I highly recommend this park for a great day of swimming, picnic, volleyball, kayaking and shore / kayak dives.

We went on a weekday. Id bet this place gets packed on weekends so arrive early. I'll definately be coming back to this location!

Thnx for the info

Thanks for the info. I always wondered how the dive was there. I have been to the main spring, and Three Sisters. Not sure if you have been there when its colder, tons of manatees to see. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom