Dive report from Cancun area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Walrod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dive Report

As some of you may have read, myself and a good friend just completed out PADI open water certification a few weeks ago. We, with our wives, just got back from our 7-day trip to Cancun last Saturday evening. Wow, what a fun trip indeed!

We stayed at Moon Palace, an all-inclusive resort just south of Cancun. We all were really pleased with the service, property, rooms, plenty to do etc. We would definitely go back, which says a lot. A few little snags along the way, but this will always happen wherever you stay.

The diving. WOW! My dive buddy (Scott Riemer) and I managed to get in 5 dives over three days of diving. We had to integrate the diving with the excursions with our wives as they don’t dive. They do snorkel and love the water though.

On Monday, we had scheduled a short dive as a get-to-know-you dive from a LDS in Puerto Morelos called: Dive Puerto Morelos. We had scheduled a three-day package which included a trip over to Cozumel for two drift dives. The Monday dive was in about 55-60’ of water, over a short section of the 650 miles of reef, just off the coast. Saw plenty of sea life including a spotted morey eel. A super guy by the name of Jan was our DM. It was just my buddy and I plus Jan and the skipper on the boat. Very private which was more inviting to us as new divers.

Tuesday was a two-tank dive. The first being at the C-56 wreck which is a 110 foot long minesweeper sunk about three years ago. It lies in almost 90’ of water. We have never been that deep before, so we were a little concerned. Jan helped prepare us for this and reassured us, no sweat. As soon as we rolled back into the water, it was apparent to us there was no way this wreck was that far down. It looked as though it was RIGHT THERE, like 25’, not 90’. This is how clear the water is! Close to 80 degrees F as well! Anyhow, we made our way down (five of us diving this day) to the bottom, near the wreck. We did a few laps around the outside bottom of the wreck to see what we could scare up as far as wildlife. We did find a Ray buried in the sand, he fluffed his way out of the sand and cruised around. After this, we ascended about 15’ up to the deck of the wreck, saw a good size barracuda, several really cool angel fish as well. The second dive was a few miles north in about 60’ of water. More or less on the reef we were at the previous day. Saw some more cool stuff.

Thursday was also a two-tank dive, but over in Cozumel this time! These dives were subbed out to Deep Blue LDS in Cozumel, which we liked as well. The first dive was at Palancar reef. We had heard so much about the drift diving and the currents that are the means for the drifting, but it really didn’t seem that strong. Maybe this was a slow day or something. Not sure. We started at about 84’ on one of the shelfs that step down. A few more shelf type steps, the water gets REALLY dark and looks VERY deep! Anyhow we dove through some short cave parts of the reef. Plenty of life all around. Very beautiful dive! Still taking in all what we got to see. The second dive was a few miles North at Yucab reef. This was about 55’ or so, more current than at Palancar. Lots of coral, no caves or arch’s to glide through. We did see the largest Lobster we have ever seen. He (or sheJ) was the size of a good sized dog! I could not believe what I was seeing, right in front of me! His neighbor was yet another huge Crab of some kind. Another cool moment was the DM found a clown fish in a small tunnel, he managed to squirt him out into the open, suddenly a grouper of huge proportion started homing in on that poor little clown fish. The DM saw what was about to happen, so he let the clown fish back into his hole, sparing his life.

Even as new divers, we both really appreciated what we got to see and do. We do realize that this diving really spoils what we have available here in SoCal. I doubt it will keep us from continuing divingJ

I can highly recommend Dive Puerto Morelos as a dive shop to book some great diving with. Catriona is the person to speak to. Both Cat and Jan are great people! Absolutely no affiliation, but here is their website: http://divepuertomorelos.com

Hey, the C55 is a cool dive huh?

There are a couple of resident eagle rays that are there most days, but the current can get hectic. We used to go down the rope, but we found that fighting the current used upto a third of a tank for most of our clients, so we started to drift down onto this wreck from upstream, it makes it much easier.

Nice report.

Chris Walrod:
. We do realize that this diving really spoils what we have available here in SoCal.
Huhhhh????
One word: KELP!

Chris Walrod:
I was referring to temp and clarity
Two words: Swimming Pool :wink:

Also affectionately called, Puerto Muertos. Glad you enjoyed the diving there and I have bookmarked that shop, as I have not done the C-55.

"Nice report Chris! When are we going back?"

ASAP:)

Maybe I forgot something in the hotel room, need to go back and look for it:)

Six words: You lost me at 'swimming pool'?

Glad you enjoy. thanks for share such a great report.
Regards.

Back
Top Bottom