Dive report - Sint Eustatius - January 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyJH42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We visited the island of Sint Eustatius (the locals call it Statia) which is 38 miles south of Sint Maarten.
Diving was with Golden Rock Dive Center and we stayed at the Orange Bay hotel.

Like many of the Caribbean islands its an old extinct volcano and is approximately 8 square miles in size.
The island has been surrounded by a marine park since 1998 and this has considerably reduced fishing and resulted in a healthy fish population.
Old lava flows extend out to sea and form reefs with sandy patches between them. There are walls, drop offs and wrecks also.

Statia escaped the worst of hurricanes Irma and Maria, there was some onshore building damage but from what we saw the reefs escaped largely undamaged. The reefs were very healthy with masses of fish and no sign of any coral bleaching.

The best dive sites are mostly within a 15 minute boat ride. There was no shore diving on offer.
Diving conditions were generally easy with little current. Only on one day did we have to change our dive site and then it was to a site closer in the bay.
The visibility varied over our visit, usually it was good at around 20 meters but on occasion down to 10 meters

Our first dive was at the Chien Tong, an old fishing ship that was sunk as an artificial reef. This was really nice as there were 3 Eagle Rays circling round the wreck for most of the dive.

We spent a couple of days diving Anchor Point, The Ledges, Blairs and Baracuda. All had masses of fish and coral and huge sponges and so so many lobsters.

One day we specifically asked to dive the Charles L Brown (Charlie Brown) wreck. This is an old cable laying ship around 100 metres long down at 30 metres. It's impressive and real fun to visit. It had schools of jacks and snappers, a couple of reef sharks passed by and a massive resident barracuda called Charlie.

On our final day we dived the Blue Bead Hole where I lucky enough to find one of the Statia blue beads in the sand. These are glass beads that were used as a local currency back in the 17th century.

The one day we didn't dive we took the historical tour of the island. It's hard to believe such a small island has so much history. St Eustatius was a major supply point for the US during the American war of Independence. It was also the first territory to recognize American Independence.

We dived with Golden Rock Dive Center, who were really good. Our rental gear was fairly new and well maintained. Their dive guides Celine and Michael seemed to know their way around the reefs and could point out the interesting stuff. Everyone at the dive shop was relaxed and friendly. All in all we were very happy.

We flew Air France from Manchester via Paris to Sint Maarten and then a short hop over to Statia with WinAir. Air France allowed us to check our luggage all the way through to Statia as we had booked the WinAir flight through them. This made the journey really easy. Juliana airport on St Maarten is in the process of being rebuilt after a visit from hurricane Irma. It's busy but we didn't experience any problems in making our connecting flights.
Although Statia is a Dutch island, English is spoken everywhere. The US Dollar is the local currency.

We stayed at the Orange Bay Hotel which was clean and comfortable. Nothing fancy but adequate for our needs. If you book through the dive shop rather than direct you get a discount..

There are some good places to eat next to the hotel and dive shop. The Harbour Club and the Broadwalk Cafe are reasonably priced or if you fancy something a little fancy then there is the Old Gin House. Up in town there is Cool Corner which is a lively restaurant and bar that does excellent Chinese food. For such a small island there are a surprisingly large number of nice places to eat.

So would we go back if we ever had the chance? Definitely yes. The island is friendly and laid back, the diving is excellent. What's not to like.

green-moray.jpg

octopus.jpg

charlie-brown.jpg

blue-bead.jpg

Love that green moray shot. What’s the most dives one could do per day there? With a very small island and limited topside scene that may be a factor for some.

Thanks, I must have taken 20 shots before I finally got one in focus and framed exactly how I wanted it.

We were offered 3 dive times each day. 09:00, 11:30 and 14:30 as standard. There was also a night dive a couple of days a week if sufficient people were interested. I'm guessing they would run extra day time dives if the numbers added up. The dive shop seemed to be fairly flexible on timings and was open to working around what we wanted.

We stayed for just over a week and I reckon that's about right for us. It's a quiet island but that's what we wanted.

Thanks for the added info. I see very few dive trip reports about this island, but it seems like they’re nearly always good, leading me to wonder why it doesn’t seem to get more attention. Maybe the small size is the issue.

Thank you for the great trip report and lucky find on the blue glass bead!

We cruised by Statia (and Nevis) when we were on the Caribbean Explorer diving Saba and St. Kitts, I wish that we could've stopped and checked it out; it sounds intriguing - and it is another Dutch island, like Saba Sint Marten, Bonaire, and Curacao and I have always enjoyed islands with a Dutch vibe and culture.

We had a small group that went to Statia in June 2018. We stayed at the Old Gin House and dived with ScubAqua just down the street. it was a very good trip: accommodations, food, diving, people, ambiance. We'd go back.

By the way, none of us found any blue beads. I am seriously jealous.

These are links to various sites I used in researching this trip. It may save someone some time if they are thinking of visiting Statia.

St. Eustatius Tourism Development http://www.statia-tourism.com/
St. Eustatius National Parks http://www.statiapark.org/
St. Eustatius Center for Archaeological Research SECAR – St. Eustatius Center for Archaeological Research
Orange Bay Hotel Orange Bay Hotel
Golden Rock Dive Center https://www.goldenrockdive.com/
Golden Rock Dive Center - Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GoldenRockDiveCenter/

Back
Top Bottom