Dive Report: St. Andrews State Park 04 March 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was extremely excited when I talked with Hetland late in the week to work out a plan for some diving as it looked like the weather was actually going to cooperate for a change.....A high in the low 60's seems a far cry from exciting but add some sunshine and that's a recipe for a day outside! So we ultimately decided to road trip to Panama City Beach and the Jetties at St. Andrews state park.

It didn't take much convincing to get Recharge and Grouper 321 to join us and we ended up with a few students of BBDC in Gulf Breeze joining us as well. So it was that we struck out on a nice Saturday morning from Navarre with a caravan of 3 vehicles testing the radar guns of the police along Hwy 98 between Navarre and PCB. We ended up arriving at a perfect time near 10:30 (after a brief delay getting everyone through the gate at the state park) and soon had camp set up under a pavilion near the cross over to the beach.

The conditions looked ideal with the sun shining and the water in the kiddie pool looking pristine. I was very surprised to note that you can nearly walk all the way out to the posts in the water where they normally put the swim area rope, which would indicate a huge wash of sand has entered the kiddie pool which left only about 30 feet of "deeper" water (about 5-7 feet deep) along the inside of the jettie. This is a huge change from last year. But, the water looked very clean in the kiddie pool and the water was flat calm from a North wind with just barely a ripple in the channel.

We had a brief dive briefing about the conditions, the plan of attack, direction, etc. and by 11:30 we were finally underwater. The conditions were a bit disappointing even with a strong incoming tide and current with a very heavy particulate which blocked a lot of the sunlight through the first 20 feet. We all made our way down to the sand at about 35 feet and then turned South toward the Gulf. We made our way over and around the boulders towards a max depth of 67 feet. The viz was quite a bit better at depth on the the southward trip but the particulate definitely impeded viz and viz never got above 10 feet.

I was surprised to find a dead Toadfish right off the bat, possibly another victim of the extended cold water temps, and never saw a single Toadfish the entire rest of the dive, although we spotted a lot of Sheepsheads, a ton of large grouper, some nice schools of black snapper, and even one very big red snapper. Outside of a couple of very cold looking damsels, and the usual blennies who probably only survive by sheer determination and fascinating high energy work ethic, we didn't see many "Reef fish". Even the usual large population of blue angels appeared to be whittled down to just one. Still, I really enjoyed the dive, so much so that Hetland and I braved the cold surface interval made a bit more pleasant by Recharges fossil fuel burner.

I showed a temp of 62* on both dives and viz about 5-10 feet. Hetland and I stayed shallow on the second dive focusing our attention on some macro photography since the particulate was lass than ideal for anything else.

Here are a couple of photos I managed to salvage:

P3066901.jpg

P3066900.jpg

P3066890.jpg

P3066875.jpg

P3066874.jpg

P3066869.jpg

P3066865.jpg

P3066859.jpg

P3066858.jpg

A few more shots:

An intersting side note to this Cowry photo is that Hetland swam about 40 feet over several boudlers to tell me to come look at something, I was suprised that he even led me back to the exact spot to show me something and as he pointed with his light at the samll cave the siz of a mailbox I was suprised when I looked inside to find this very big cowry attached to the top, I turned to him to tell him what a nice find it was, and then struggled to get this photo, but when I asked later how he ever saw the Cowry in the first place he replied, "What Cowry?", he was pointing at two anemones in front of the cave..... It was a funny moment!

P3066857.jpg

The dead Toadfish: (RIP)

P3066837.jpg

Here is a Big black Snapper that was just laying in the sand leaning back against a rock, I approached slowly and took a couple of photos from afar but as I got closer he didn't move so ultimately I got a few nice photos to add to my "Fish Eyes Collection - Windows to the soul"

P3066843.jpg

P3066845.jpg

P3066847.jpg

P3066848.jpg

P3066849.jpg

Very nice photos provided the viz that you reported. I noticed how shallow the kiddie pool was too when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Glad you guys had a good time and even know the viz was crap, I still wish I would have been able to make it. You left out the good part, where did you do your debriefing?

Oooooh, you're right. Thanks for the reminder. We stopped at the Dive Locker on our way out of town (They have some new ccol T-Shirts) and I asked while checking out if they'd reccomend a good Sushi joint, they had us go back south a few blocks from them near the hooters (Can't remember the name of the place where we had some great Sushi. Recharge had a Beef Fried rice plate that smelt and looked awesome as well, it was a great choice after a day of looking at live sushi! YummmY!

Great photos as usual. I really like the first and third blenny shots. The mangrove eye and zombie-toad are also striking.

I'll add that the water felt colder than 62 to me, and my comps actually recorded 61 (felt colder than that too) but it was tolerable, and IF you have to dive in bad viz, then St. Andrews is the place to do it.

It was great to meet some new divers willing to dive when conditions are uber-crappy.

New York rolls rock!

Special thanks to Recharge for supplying the wonderful fossil-fuel burning device. One of these days I'll wuss-out and buy some gloves with thermal protection, but until that happens, I need the dinosaur-cooker to keep my mitts from icing over :eyebrow:

Great time as usual. Hope to repeat the experience with better viz and warmer water soon (maybe even next weekend :D )

[vimeo]9973266[/vimeo]​

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

Great shots! You guys are too good of photographers, can't even tell the conditions we were diving in! I forgot to bring my contacts so I was diving in *really* low vis so I'm glad you guys captured things I couldn't see!

Oooooh, you're right. Thanks for the reminder. We stopped at the Dive Locker on our way out of town (They have some new ccol T-Shirts) and I asked while checking out if they'd reccomend a good Sushi joint, they had us go back south a few blocks from them near the hooters (Can't remember the name of the place where we had some great Sushi. Recharge had a Beef Fried rice plate that smelt and looked awesome as well, it was a great choice after a day of looking at live sushi! YummmY!

Sake House II, directly across from the entrance to the Navy Base.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom