Dive Report: St. Andrews State Park 04 March 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am pretty interested in seeing what experienced divers have settled on and are having good results with primarily because I am about to open a shop up here and I'd like to stock quality gear at reasonable prices.

[snip]

But as Joe Dirt pointed out its not about me, its about the (potential) consumer.

Pat, while I wish your shop "success", I'd be leary in stocking any housings. Chances are anything you buy will set on the shelf 4 to 12 months because most higher end dive camera purchases aren't made at vacation town dive shops.

the reason is that there are so many different housings and options and strobes for different model cameras and lens used. And housings/domes/strobes are high dollar items that are often model particular.

Do if you've got someone with Nikon D200 and you've only got a D90 housing, then they'll likely purchase elsewhere and get the whole package from "one shop".

and as you said, it's about the potential consumer, who will likely shop this out to save a few hundred bucks and get what they want all from one shop.

I just see any small shop that is a "stocking dealer" having the potential to "loose their ass" on camera housings. Just my opinion.

You can't compete with Best Buy on Canon gear, but Best Buy does not sell Canon HOUSINGS or complete underwater packages.

I've never price shopped Best Buy on Cannon, but on Nikon Gear, they are WAY HIGHER than online shops such as Adorama, Beach, B&H, etc. I just say this because I've not found Best Buy to be the best place for buying camera gear.

Back to brands, I like my Nikon and I'm happy with that brand. I've had Cannon and Olympus also. Both excellent brands. But I will say I've seen some kick ass shots made with the Olympus cameras that were amazing. They seem to be a favorite of board members here....

mike_s - I love my Olympus dSLRs and the Olympus glass! :D

The camera selection is important as far options and quality go, but I am not sold the idea of the camera being the culprit for great photos. Allot has to do with the photographer behind the camera. Knowing how to set up your camera underwater and selecting the right lighting is what makes great photos. I added the Intova 2000 strobe to my rig as Hetland has stated and it does have allot of power.

Someone who doesn't understand how their settings are going to affect the picture will get less than ideal photos no matter what camera.

That being said, a photographer who knows how to take a photo will find where different cameras are going to be lacking REAL quick. Especially once prints start to roll out.

Speaking of Intova, their flashlights are pretty damn sweet too. I have a wide angle LED light that I use for video, and it's a really good buy for the price, and comes with features (magnetic switch) not usually found in lights under $100.

They make great lights at a great price, I'd use them as backups if I weren't already very happy with some OMS LEDs I currently use.

I just see any small shop that is a "stocking dealer" having the potential to "loose their ass" on camera housings. Just my opinion.

Also the opinion of a few dive shop owners that have been around for a LONG time. Should be carefully considered.

I've never price shopped Best Buy on Cannon, but on Nikon Gear, they are WAY HIGHER than online shops such as Adorama, Beach, B&H, etc. I just say this because I've not found Best Buy to be the best place for buying camera gear.

For a 9-month or older model you are 100% correct, but for a hot-off-the-presses new model camera, they will all charge retail, or a few bucks less. IF you watch BestBuy carefully, they will post it on sale, and IF you are a regular customer, you will routinely get 10% and sometimes 20% off coupons that if planned correctly will be cheaper than the online wholesalers. I paid $480 out the door for a camera I would have paid $500 for at Adorama or Beach (Amazon has deals occasionally too). I also got $20 back from Canon because I had previously registered other cameras with them :eyebrow:

Well I am going to be an intova dealer because I love their lights too and they do have a line of el cheapo point and shoot cameras at low retail prices which I think are good for the tourists. There is however a decent local market and since we plan on offer dive travel, I figure having better than el cheapo cameras in stock is probably a good move. My SeaLife DC500 has been around the block a time or three and if fairly rugged and rated to 180' but along way from high quality. And frankly, looking at the dealer prices for SeaLife and Sea and Sea there is very little mark up which makes them alittle harder to stomach.

I would probably add that being able to record in HD seems to be a very marketable selling point that SeaLife lacks but most of the other have jumped onboard with. I'd have a hard time justifying selling $500 point and shoot system when there is a superior system for $300 that I could be selling.....

Sorry to side track this trip report thread guys but many thanks for the great feedback. My thoughts really boil down to the idea that divers that follow their passion to dive keep diving and create a better dive community (like this thread). And that as a shop owner my role is to facilitate this as much as possible. If I recall the beginning of this thread correctly the Dive Locker got at least a t-shirt purchase out of your trip down to the jetties. They made money as a result of of your pursuit of your passion probably because somewhere along the way they did something to help you out in that pursuit. So thats my vision for the shop and my co-workers in said shop; to help people follow their love of diving.

I'll probably be thread-jacking other reports as they hit issues that I could use good feedback on too so my apologies in advance there as well.

Pat, I would love for you to be an Ikelite dealer. I use the Canon G10 and all my other camera gear is Ikelite. I only know of one shop in Pensacola that is able to order Ikelite gear, but they don't stock it. Since I own a retail store I know how difficult it is to know exactly which sku's you should carry. Most people that use Ikelite equipment know that you can't keep everything in stock...but it would be nice to have someone that could order and sell Ikelite locally at a decent price. Currently I have to buy everything mail order. I have been told by one shop that it is difficult to be an Ikelite dealer because of minimum orders. I am not sure how accurate that is though.

Good luck with your shop.

Thanks for the report guys. I am really ready for the Gulf to get clearer and warmer. I want to hit the jetties during Springfest. Last Springfest, I actually ran a reel. :D

Glen, we are a Ikelite dealer here in FWB at Beach City Scuba if you need anything. Located on Eglin Pkwy near 98.

That is great to know...I have not been to Beach City Scuba. I guess I need to come over and check things out. I have driven by your place a couple of time, but have never stopped in.

Glen, we are a Ikelite dealer here in FWB at Beach City Scuba if you need anything. Located on Eglin Pkwy near 98.

I too am interested in checking out the shop and I hear you may be digging a pool? What manufacturers are you carrying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom