Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5/22/14 South Brohard beach dive
Tide high @ 8:28 am
Winds ESE @ 5 mph to more southerly. slight swell & current.
Water temp 77 degrees

One tank, 2 dives
In at 10:15 am. Viz 5 ft murky. Depth 15 fsw, time one hour. Found 5 inch seahorse on a crab trap. Saw the Goliath grouper with a 3 inch shark fishing hook and attached one foot heavy weight fishing line. Tried to get close enough to him/ her to cut either line or hook X 3 with no luck. Found an abandoned crab trap, & 30 ft rope, along with other assorted trash (mask & snorkel, golf balls, beer cans) and hauled them back to shore with 1200 psi.
Second dive at 11:30 ish. 30 mins, 13 fsw. Found the ghost net (again) Took out my shears and cut as much of it as I could before I ran out of air. Freed a stone crab that was trapped in it.

If anyone dives S. Brohard, be prepared to bring tools for a clean up. There is still a lot of trash out there.

Really nice dive day!
Did some kayak diving.... Overall conditions:
Morning hours seas 1ft or less. Picked up to a couple 1-2 ft sets in afternoon. Winds out of NW(?). :)
Water temp was 77
Overall viz conditions: Off Golden Beach (about 1/2 mile (plus) out) viz was 7-10ft with some areas pushing 15ft). Last dive of the day (around 3) did the blocks of Alhambra (closer in to shore). Viz was a murky 5 ft.

Had some nice finds. Will post later.

Dove Service club this morning, Hit the water at 8am today. Had a 50 minute dive.
Water was calm, 10+ feet vis in places, 0 in others. Looks like someone had been digging as the clay was exposed in several spots. Didn't find much.

We went out with Jamie on the Aristakat for teeth yesterday tues 5/27 and had a great time. Found 2 real nice megs just a tad under 4 inches and fiancé found a real nice mako. Found a handful of smaller and broken megs and whale ear bone as well. Well spent $60 for sure. I will try to upload photos of our finds later. Thanks again Jamie and Lori.

By the way, calm water and good viz 10+ feet

Last edited:
image.jpgSome of our finds on the Aristakat yesterday

Sunday 6/1/14 South Jetty clean up with the Suncoast Reef Rovers, had 14 divers in the water
Tide low @ 7:17 am
entered the water at slack tide @ 8:20 am dove for approx. one hour, max depth 16 fsw
viz 6 ft
temp 82 degrees, ENE winds
hauled up lots of rope, netting, fishing line, hooks, lead, etc.

2nd dive @ S. Brohard with dkramer around 11 am
viz reports were 6-10 ft, we only had 2 ft at best. Winds easterly, swell & current moved us northward.
Lots of snot in the water, so much it looked like it was snowing. Got some more of that net up, found a few fossils, saw a few fish, cutest ones were a small yellow blenny and a 1 1/2 inch puffer all puffed up.

Tried Casperson today via kayak starting in 15 feet of water, could usually only see the compass until 25 feet of water. Lots of quarter inch algae surface to bottom. East winds had flat seas at beach and 2+ foot waves out in 30 feet, where visibility was between 2 and 4 foot. Tide was coming in for both tanks.

Thursday 6/5/14
South Venice Beach
In at 10:30, 2 hr dive
Winds form the south @ 8 mph
Tide outgoing, a bit choppy and light current
temp 81
Viz @ 15 fsw in the blocks 1-4 ft, in 16 fsw less than one inch
so I stayed @ 15 fsw where I could see, in the land of tiny teeth! Pulled up more rope from abandoned crab traps. One sea urchin had a plastic bag & golf ball attached which i hauled back in with the trash. Had a snapper following me around today, usually it is the sheepshead. Only saw one stone crab:-(

6/8/14
Service Club
Time 8:30 am
Seas <1'
Wind N @5
Water Temp 83
Vis 2'-6'+
Max depth 25'
Dive time 100 min
Finds usual small stuff and a nice whale ear bone
First time back in the water in 5 weeks with the bad vis earlier and some surgery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom