Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First dive of the year for me Went out with Florida West
To test drive a new 7 mm suit and glad I had it on.
had to add 12 lbs extra from my normal 18 lbs with a
3 mm suit. Thanks to Steve and Dan for helping me out with the
extra weight, looks like a weight belt will be my next purchase.

water temp 60 - 61 degrees
depth 27 feet
wind SSE - switching to to S 10 - 15 mph
seas choppy 1 - 2 feet wave action
vis 8-10 feet very good for January

Lots of small stuff for me. A couple of 2 2.5 Meg's were found
by other divers. Can't wait to get on the old kayak, but I don't
think I will try it in a 7 mm suit.

I just purchased a 5mm suit. Dying to give it a run. Looked at a 7mm but thought it might be overkill for me as the 3mm was sufficient in 65 degree water. Why do you have reservations on diving from your yak with the 7mm? Just a question.

Matt

Unless it's a high stretch suit, trying to yak with one can be a pita. I had a 4/5 mil that was seriously uncomfortable trying to get in position to paddle. I finally went & got a BARE super stretch suit in order to solve the problem.

I just purchased a 5mm suit. Dying to give it a run. Looked at a 7mm but thought it might be overkill for me as the 3mm was sufficient in 65 degree water. Why do you have reservations on diving from your yak with the 7mm? Just a question.

Matt

Matt that is a good question. The reasons are several. When I dive I must feel and be 100 percent comfort in my ability as I have no one to help me out. Diving as most of us do solo offshore is considered by most certifying dive agencies as a technical dive that we do, I do not take my safety lightly. 7mm mite be a little over kill but it was a birthday present from my son in July. I Used a 3mm all last winter and by the end of my second 90 minute dive I was a bit cold. Getting into the suit is much more of a challenge than a 3mm and it will restrict your range of motion quite a bit. The added weight required to descend for me is about 10 extra lbs with the 7mm suit. All In all my level of comfort to dive off a kayak is not 100 present. I hope that this gives you an understanding of were I am coming from.

I understand that completely. I have a 3mil hooded vest that I hate using for that very reason. I do use it but only on days when I am feeling 100 % confident. It makes my 3mil suit fit quite tight in the chest area which can be a little disconcerting at times. So once again I completely understand. Thanks for the reply.

Matt

FINALLY made it out...

3 dives on the kayak...

First two were out in the "traditional bone yard" off Golden Beach area. Flat. Sunny... COLD... Wish I had the 60 reported earlier... computer hit 57 for a time (but remember was out further and deeper (28 I think I hit)). Viz was good (esp. this time of year... up to 8 ft at some areas... other some silt dropped it to 4ft).

Third dive was over the Block of Alhambra... Viz was worse but ok... 1-5 ft. Silty in some areas. Blocks REALLY changed on fossil bed locations. More clay around. More silt. Few months should be producing nicely (take top silt off).

Did find some nice megs (will try to post later) and smaller stuff. Expected more (always do)... but I think THE GROUND VIBRATING influenced it ... could have been the ground or my teeth shaking/clattering after 3.5 hours in 57 degree water!

Since some might ask 5 mm suit. 3 mm gloves. I think 3? (maybe 5) mm hood (19 yrs old).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom