Dive reports with beach/weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People have been digging out off of Venice beach for years. Probably for as long as people have been diving there. Some people even use scooters to blast out areas. I'm of the opinion that there's nothing under the surface that is dramatically different than what's on the surface. There always seems to be a lot of new stuff on the surface after a storm, I think that everything just keeps getting buried and resurfaced over and over again.

7/14/14
Service Club
Dive Kayak
65 min at 23 feet
Normal small finds - lots of marine life

Dive Kayak.jpg

S. Brohard around 10:00 am. Slight swell, incoming tide & water temp 86. Viz was 3-4 in some places & 1-2 in others. Lots of snot. As a matter of fact, swimming over the sandbar reminded me of driving through a blizzard up north.

Venice beach 9:00 am 2 tank dive. It's been awhile since I have done a beach dive.
swam out to the blocks 18 feet of water. The water temp was 89 degrees. Winds out of the
sw 5-8 MPH 1 foot rollers and a little surge at the bottom. Vis was better than I thought it would be 6-8 feet. Lots and lots of fish big and small. Finds lots of smalls and some nice ones to make a few pair of ear rings for the wife. Been doing kayak diving for the most part hunting for Meg's

Sat 8/2/14 S. Brohard w/ Dkramer & her yak
winds ENE 5 mph, like glass
tide low @ 11:35 am
in @ 9:30 ish, stayed in the blocks, max depth 17
down one hour, break, down another hour
water temp 88
viz 4 ft & less
D found a nice one +inch not sure if mako or meg
saw lots of cool tropicals, a small goliath grouper & an even smaller remora on the grouper
Time to get wet folks!

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2014 at 06:27 PM ----------

Sun 8/3/14
Venice Beach dive with Dkramer
winds ENE 10 mph
tide low @ 12:49 pm
water temp 86-88
viz a very murky & silty 2 ft but mostly less
max depth 18 fsw
dive time almost 2 hours
finds: a few small teeth, golf balls, crab trap debris (rope & metal pieces)

Had up to 7 foot visibility yesterday morning at high tide, dropping to 2 foot when the tide was going out during third tank. Amazing what you can get on a kayak!

---------- Post added August 7th, 2014 at 08:02 AM ----------

Investigate this if you're planning to dive with an open cut, a couple people have recently died. "The Vibrio vulnificus bacteria — increasingly but not quite accurately referred to as “flesh-eating” — occur naturally in coastal waters, perhaps more abundantly in the summer months. Symptoms include stomach illness, fever or shock after eating raw seafood, especially oysters, or a wound infection after exposure to seawater or brackish water."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom